Jan 22, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Nino Niederreiter wants off the island.
Long Island, that is.
According to ESPNNewYork.com, the 20-year-old Islanders forward is unhappy with his situation and has requested a trade.
Niederreiter’s agent reportedly told general manager Garth Snow of his client’s wishes last week.
The Islanders drafted Niederreiter fifth overall in 2010; however, he’s yet to make an impact at the NHL. In 2011-12, he had just one goal in 55 games.
Last week, the Isles made the decision to keep Niederreiter in the AHL where he’s already scored 36 points in 39 games this season for Bridgeport.
Presumably that decision didn’t sit well with the player, even though he publicly said otherwise.
“I promised myself I wouldn’t get frustrated about those things this year,” said Niederreiter. “All I can control is what I do on the ice.”
Newsday’s Arthur Staple has confirmed ESPN’s report, but apparently the Islanders aren’t currently willing to move Niederreiter.
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)