Jan 22, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Nino Niederreiter wants off the island.
Long Island, that is.
According to ESPNNewYork.com, the 20-year-old Islanders forward is unhappy with his situation and has requested a trade.
Niederreiter’s agent reportedly told general manager Garth Snow of his client’s wishes last week.
The Islanders drafted Niederreiter fifth overall in 2010; however, he’s yet to make an impact at the NHL. In 2011-12, he had just one goal in 55 games.
Last week, the Isles made the decision to keep Niederreiter in the AHL where he’s already scored 36 points in 39 games this season for Bridgeport.
Presumably that decision didn’t sit well with the player, even though he publicly said otherwise.
“I promised myself I wouldn’t get frustrated about those things this year,” said Niederreiter. “All I can control is what I do on the ice.”
Newsday’s Arthur Staple has confirmed ESPN’s report, but apparently the Islanders aren’t currently willing to move Niederreiter.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)