Jan 22, 2013, 3:21 PM EDT
Nino Niederreiter wants off the island.
Long Island, that is.
According to ESPNNewYork.com, the 20-year-old Islanders forward is unhappy with his situation and has requested a trade.
Niederreiter’s agent reportedly told general manager Garth Snow of his client’s wishes last week.
The Islanders drafted Niederreiter fifth overall in 2010; however, he’s yet to make an impact at the NHL. In 2011-12, he had just one goal in 55 games.
Last week, the Isles made the decision to keep Niederreiter in the AHL where he’s already scored 36 points in 39 games this season for Bridgeport.
Presumably that decision didn’t sit well with the player, even though he publicly said otherwise.
“I promised myself I wouldn’t get frustrated about those things this year,” said Niederreiter. “All I can control is what I do on the ice.”
Newsday’s Arthur Staple has confirmed ESPN’s report, but apparently the Islanders aren’t currently willing to move Niederreiter.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)