Jan 22, 2013, 3:21 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter wants off the island.
Long Island, that is.
According to ESPNNewYork.com, the 20-year-old Islanders forward is unhappy with his situation and has requested a trade.
Niederreiter’s agent reportedly told general manager Garth Snow of his client’s wishes last week.
The Islanders drafted Niederreiter fifth overall in 2010; however, he’s yet to make an impact at the NHL. In 2011-12, he had just one goal in 55 games.
Last week, the Isles made the decision to keep Niederreiter in the AHL where he’s already scored 36 points in 39 games this season for Bridgeport.
Presumably that decision didn’t sit well with the player, even though he publicly said otherwise.
“I promised myself I wouldn’t get frustrated about those things this year,” said Niederreiter. “All I can control is what I do on the ice.”
Newsday’s Arthur Staple has confirmed ESPN’s report, but apparently the Islanders aren’t currently willing to move Niederreiter.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)