Jan 22, 2013, 3:21 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter wants off the island.
Long Island, that is.
According to ESPNNewYork.com, the 20-year-old Islanders forward is unhappy with his situation and has requested a trade.
Niederreiter’s agent reportedly told general manager Garth Snow of his client’s wishes last week.
The Islanders drafted Niederreiter fifth overall in 2010; however, he’s yet to make an impact at the NHL. In 2011-12, he had just one goal in 55 games.
Last week, the Isles made the decision to keep Niederreiter in the AHL where he’s already scored 36 points in 39 games this season for Bridgeport.
Presumably that decision didn’t sit well with the player, even though he publicly said otherwise.
“I promised myself I wouldn’t get frustrated about those things this year,” said Niederreiter. “All I can control is what I do on the ice.”
Newsday’s Arthur Staple has confirmed ESPN’s report, but apparently the Islanders aren’t currently willing to move Niederreiter.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (43)