Jan 22, 2013, 6:26 PM EDT
Roughly two weeks after Brian Burke was fired as president and general manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs, a new potential suitor may have emerged for the club’s presidency.
The Great One.
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, MLSE has had “preliminary discussions” about Gretzky possibly taking Burke’s old job.
With the GM reins already handed to Dave Nonis, the president’s title still needs to be filled.
It should come as no surprise that Gretzky would be in the mix for said gig, given a report from last year claiming Gretzky had been approached by groups eyeing the purchase of MLSE.
Here’s more, from the Toronto Star:
Gretzky told Sportsnet on Thursday that in recent months multiple groups have asked him to be part of a $1.5 billion offer for control of the sports conglomerate.
What exactly his role would be — whether figurehead, president, or in the management team — was unclear, but adding him as Canadian content for a U.S. owner makes a lot of sense, said Richard Powers, associate dean at the Rotman School of Business at the University of Toronto.
“It would be a smart move for the people with the money — attracting a Canadian hockey legend and icon as a spokesperson for the ownership group generates publicity and gets attention whenever he shows up,” said Powers.
At that time, whispers suggested Gretzky was being courted to get involved at an ownership level. But that’s no longer an option as Bell and Rogers joined forces to buy MLSE for $1.3 billion back in December.
This new development would (theoretically) see him in an executive role, responsible for the shaping of the organization and, perhaps most importantly, the on-ice product.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie says there’s been “no direct contact” between MLSE and Gretzky.
TML presidency one of few jobs in hockey 99 would seriously consider but no direct contact between MLSE and Gretzky camp has been made.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) January 22, 2013
Further explanation from Kypreos (we misinterpreted his earlier tweet)
While the name Gretzky has come up within MLSE walls, I have no internal info that suggests formal talks have even taken place. #easytwitter
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) January 22, 2013
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 0
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 0
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 56
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 21
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Cooke to play 1,000th game tomorrow (56)