Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to an 0-3 start to begin the lockout-shortened 48-game regular season and have scored just three goals in that span.
But there could be good news – or at least better news – on the horizon.
“I felt a little better again, today,” Briere told CSNPhilly.com.
“It seems every time I have been skating, I take the next step, but then there is something else that prevents me from going too hard or all out.
Briere, who scored eight times and contributed 13 points overall in 11 post-season games for Philadelphia last year, injured his wrist while playing in Germany during the NHL lockout.
The pending Briere return comes at a time when the Flyers are struggling to find any scoring at all.
The Flyers, after losses to Pittsburgh and Buffalo on the weekend, fell 3-0 to the New Jersey Devils, last year’s Stanley Cup finalists, on the road.
And, of course, fans, media and former players are taking notice. Twitter, as it does most nights in the NHL, lit up with chatter of the Flyers’ current ineptitude.
Flyers can't get it together!!! Sloppy plays and can't bury their chances. Marty B strong as usual—
Jeremy Roenick (@Jeremy_Roenick) January 23, 2013
More inefficiency out of the Flyers, hold NJD to 3 shots yet allow 2 goals. Philly may pay for Bryz to go to space.—
Daren Millard (@darenmillard) January 23, 2013
The Devils, on the other hand, didn’t have Zach Parise in the lineup. He signed that 13-year, $98 million deal with the Minnesota Wild during the summer. Adam Henrique, one of three Calder Trophy finalists last season, is also seven-to-10 days away from returning from thumb surgery.
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 0
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 0
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112