Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to an 0-3 start to begin the lockout-shortened 48-game regular season and have scored just three goals in that span.
But there could be good news – or at least better news – on the horizon.
“I felt a little better again, today,” Briere told CSNPhilly.com.
“It seems every time I have been skating, I take the next step, but then there is something else that prevents me from going too hard or all out.
Briere, who scored eight times and contributed 13 points overall in 11 post-season games for Philadelphia last year, injured his wrist while playing in Germany during the NHL lockout.
The pending Briere return comes at a time when the Flyers are struggling to find any scoring at all.
The Flyers, after losses to Pittsburgh and Buffalo on the weekend, fell 3-0 to the New Jersey Devils, last year’s Stanley Cup finalists, on the road.
And, of course, fans, media and former players are taking notice. Twitter, as it does most nights in the NHL, lit up with chatter of the Flyers’ current ineptitude.
The Devils, on the other hand, didn’t have Zach Parise in the lineup. He signed that 13-year, $98 million deal with the Minnesota Wild during the summer. Adam Henrique, one of three Calder Trophy finalists last season, is also seven-to-10 days away from returning from thumb surgery.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)