Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 PM EST
Colaiacovo injured his shoulder when he was hit into the boards by Nick Foligno during the third period of the Wings’ 4-3 shootout victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday night.
Colaiacovo was the Toronto Maple Leafs’ first-round, 17th overall, draft pick in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and has signed a two-year deal with the Red Wings just prior to the NHL lockout.
After struggling to stick with the Maple Leafs, Colaiacovo spent four seasons with the St. Louis Blues, playing in 259 games and adding an average of almost 27 points in that time. However, his career has been marred by injuries.
Due to the Colaiacovo injury and in a need to add depth on the blue line, the Wings signed veteran defenseman Kent Huskins, 33, to a one year contract on Tuesday.
Huskins ended the night with 15:16 in ice time; however the Wings lost their home opener 2-1 to the Dallas Stars, who got a pair of goals from Michael Ryder.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 26
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)