Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Colaiacovo injured his shoulder when he was hit into the boards by Nick Foligno during the third period of the Wings’ 4-3 shootout victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday night.
Colaiacovo was the Toronto Maple Leafs’ first-round, 17th overall, draft pick in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and has signed a two-year deal with the Red Wings just prior to the NHL lockout.
After struggling to stick with the Maple Leafs, Colaiacovo spent four seasons with the St. Louis Blues, playing in 259 games and adding an average of almost 27 points in that time. However, his career has been marred by injuries.
Due to the Colaiacovo injury and in a need to add depth on the blue line, the Wings signed veteran defenseman Kent Huskins, 33, to a one year contract on Tuesday.
Huskins ended the night with 15:16 in ice time; however the Wings lost their home opener 2-1 to the Dallas Stars, who got a pair of goals from Michael Ryder.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)