Jan 22, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Colaiacovo injured his shoulder when he was hit into the boards by Nick Foligno during the third period of the Wings’ 4-3 shootout victory over the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday night.
Colaiacovo was the Toronto Maple Leafs’ first-round, 17th overall, draft pick in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and has signed a two-year deal with the Red Wings just prior to the NHL lockout.
After struggling to stick with the Maple Leafs, Colaiacovo spent four seasons with the St. Louis Blues, playing in 259 games and adding an average of almost 27 points in that time. However, his career has been marred by injuries.
Due to the Colaiacovo injury and in a need to add depth on the blue line, the Wings signed veteran defenseman Kent Huskins, 33, to a one year contract on Tuesday.
Huskins ended the night with 15:16 in ice time; however the Wings lost their home opener 2-1 to the Dallas Stars, who got a pair of goals from Michael Ryder.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 5
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)