Jan 22, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
NBCSN’s coverage of the NHL’s opening week will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers head to the Prudential Center to take on the team that eliminated them in the 2012 playoffs, the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Flyers lost back-to-back games over the weekend against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres, but won’t get an opportunity to rest and regroup anytime soon.
Starting today, Philadelphia will play in five matches, including four road contests, over the span of just eight days.
Philadelphia will be looking to play a more disciplined game, but they also need to do a much better job of killing off penalties when they happen. On top of that, the Flyers’ secondary scorers need to step up after forward Claude Giroux, 25, provided most of the team’s offense over the weekend.
The New Jersey Devils won their season opener against the New York Islanders, but beating the hungry Flyers will be a far more daunting task.
The Devils made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals last year, but they lost their former captain, forward Zach Parise over the summer when the 28-year-old opted to sign with the Minnesota Wild as an unrestricted free agent. Parise was a key part of the Devils attack and with 22-year-old forward Adam Henrique (thumb) sidelined, the Devils look very thin up front.
Philadelphia – Forwards: 35-year-old Danny Briere (wrist), 22-year-old Zac Rinaldo (leg) Defensemen: 23-year-old Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), 38-year-old Chris Pronger (concussion), 32-year-old Matt Walker (hip)
New Jersey – Forwards: Henrique (thumb)
May 29, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
NHL Central Scouting thinks slightly more of the B.C. defender.
May 29, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Spent the past five seasons in the KHL.
May 29, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
That’s former NHL defenseman and current AHL Binghamton bench boss Luke Richardson.
May 29, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT
This according to his club team, Avangard Omsk.
May 29, 2015, 12:49 PM EDT
How does it compare to past promos?
May 29, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
“The last two years, we were a different team.”
May 29, 2015, 11:39 AM EDT
Well-traveled journeyman played big minutes for AHL Charlotte last season.
May 29, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
Wes McCauley and Kevin Pollock, who have a fair bit of history working these types of games.
May 29, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
Moving to Iserlohn after a tumultuous 2014-15 campaign.
May 29, 2015, 10:37 AM EDT
One year, two-way deal.
May 29, 2015, 9:53 AM EDT
Draft picks to hire other team’s fired employees has rapidly become the standard.
May 29, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Detroit wants to keep Tony Granato.
May 29, 2015, 8:25 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 8
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 39
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)