Jan 22, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
NBCSN’s coverage of the NHL’s opening week will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers head to the Prudential Center to take on the team that eliminated them in the 2012 playoffs, the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Flyers lost back-to-back games over the weekend against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres, but won’t get an opportunity to rest and regroup anytime soon.
Starting today, Philadelphia will play in five matches, including four road contests, over the span of just eight days.
Philadelphia will be looking to play a more disciplined game, but they also need to do a much better job of killing off penalties when they happen. On top of that, the Flyers’ secondary scorers need to step up after forward Claude Giroux, 25, provided most of the team’s offense over the weekend.
The New Jersey Devils won their season opener against the New York Islanders, but beating the hungry Flyers will be a far more daunting task.
The Devils made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals last year, but they lost their former captain, forward Zach Parise over the summer when the 28-year-old opted to sign with the Minnesota Wild as an unrestricted free agent. Parise was a key part of the Devils attack and with 22-year-old forward Adam Henrique (thumb) sidelined, the Devils look very thin up front.
Philadelphia – Forwards: 35-year-old Danny Briere (wrist), 22-year-old Zac Rinaldo (leg) Defensemen: 23-year-old Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), 38-year-old Chris Pronger (concussion), 32-year-old Matt Walker (hip)
New Jersey – Forwards: Henrique (thumb)
May 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A look at that and the San Jose Sharks’ series against the Los Angeles Kings.
May 21, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche’s chief scout doesn’t think there’s a clear favorite.
May 21, 2013, 8:46 AM EDT
But before that the Bruins will try to take a 3-0 series lead on the Rangers.
May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement.”
May 21, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Is that an intentional Sharks pun?
May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
He thinks it could be a valuable wake-up call.
May 20, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
At least between Dan Cleary and Bryan Bickell.
May 20, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville said they “hit the wall” after that.
May 20, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Tough night for the zebras.
May 20, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Finally some adversity for the Blackhawks.
May 20, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Peter Horachek had been with the team since 2003.
May 20, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Two goals in 31 seconds, including his beauty.
May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
That Craig Adams hit didn’t feel very good, though.
May 20, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Did anyone go over the line?
May 20, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Perhaps that hurt less than it looks.
May 20, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
“Sooner or later something’s got to give,” he said.
May 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
He has a no-trade clause.
May 20, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Lots of stink talk coming from New York.
May 20, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
He hopes to be ready for the start of the 2013-14 regular season.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 2
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 9
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 28
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 69
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (72)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control