Jan 22, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
NBCSN’s coverage of the NHL’s opening week will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers head to the Prudential Center to take on the team that eliminated them in the 2012 playoffs, the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Flyers lost back-to-back games over the weekend against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres, but won’t get an opportunity to rest and regroup anytime soon.
Starting today, Philadelphia will play in five matches, including four road contests, over the span of just eight days.
Philadelphia will be looking to play a more disciplined game, but they also need to do a much better job of killing off penalties when they happen. On top of that, the Flyers’ secondary scorers need to step up after forward Claude Giroux, 25, provided most of the team’s offense over the weekend.
The New Jersey Devils won their season opener against the New York Islanders, but beating the hungry Flyers will be a far more daunting task.
The Devils made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals last year, but they lost their former captain, forward Zach Parise over the summer when the 28-year-old opted to sign with the Minnesota Wild as an unrestricted free agent. Parise was a key part of the Devils attack and with 22-year-old forward Adam Henrique (thumb) sidelined, the Devils look very thin up front.
Philadelphia – Forwards: 35-year-old Danny Briere (wrist), 22-year-old Zac Rinaldo (leg) Defensemen: 23-year-old Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), 38-year-old Chris Pronger (concussion), 32-year-old Matt Walker (hip)
New Jersey – Forwards: Henrique (thumb)
Mar 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
The really busy Saturday matinee edition.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Nashville will aim to clinch without him.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Four teams look to punch their ticket on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Just what the doctor ordered.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
They face the desperate Bruins today.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
He’s a healthy scratch for Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
St. Louis gets Carl Gunnarsson back, too.
Mar 28, 2015, 9:29 AM EDT
Now that’s a “hockey face.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:16 AM EDT
A round-up of scores from Friday’s NCAA action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Their in Vancouver to face the Canucks on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Crawford pulled in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:28 PM EDT
Crawford was pulled late in the first period.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
That’s a blow to Calgary’s post-season hopes.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Nine points since joining Florida.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Not a great start for Chicago.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:47 PM EDT
The club says he’s expected to make a full recovery.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
New York plays twice this weekend.
Mar 27, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
They play in Philadelphia on Saturday.
Mar 27, 2015, 6:24 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Feb. 24.
Mar 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT
Terriers move one step closer to the Frozen Four.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)