Jan 22, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
NBCSN’s coverage of the NHL’s opening week will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers head to the Prudential Center to take on the team that eliminated them in the 2012 playoffs, the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Flyers lost back-to-back games over the weekend against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres, but won’t get an opportunity to rest and regroup anytime soon.
Starting today, Philadelphia will play in five matches, including four road contests, over the span of just eight days.
Philadelphia will be looking to play a more disciplined game, but they also need to do a much better job of killing off penalties when they happen. On top of that, the Flyers’ secondary scorers need to step up after forward Claude Giroux, 25, provided most of the team’s offense over the weekend.
The New Jersey Devils won their season opener against the New York Islanders, but beating the hungry Flyers will be a far more daunting task.
The Devils made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals last year, but they lost their former captain, forward Zach Parise over the summer when the 28-year-old opted to sign with the Minnesota Wild as an unrestricted free agent. Parise was a key part of the Devils attack and with 22-year-old forward Adam Henrique (thumb) sidelined, the Devils look very thin up front.
Philadelphia – Forwards: 35-year-old Danny Briere (wrist), 22-year-old Zac Rinaldo (leg) Defensemen: 23-year-old Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), 38-year-old Chris Pronger (concussion), 32-year-old Matt Walker (hip)
New Jersey – Forwards: Henrique (thumb)
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6