Jan 22, 2013, 8:33 AM EDT
NBCSN’s coverage of the NHL’s opening week will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers head to the Prudential Center to take on the team that eliminated them in the 2012 playoffs, the New Jersey Devils at 7:30 p.m. ET.
The Flyers lost back-to-back games over the weekend against the Pittsburgh Penguins and Buffalo Sabres, but won’t get an opportunity to rest and regroup anytime soon.
Starting today, Philadelphia will play in five matches, including four road contests, over the span of just eight days.
Philadelphia will be looking to play a more disciplined game, but they also need to do a much better job of killing off penalties when they happen. On top of that, the Flyers’ secondary scorers need to step up after forward Claude Giroux, 25, provided most of the team’s offense over the weekend.
The New Jersey Devils won their season opener against the New York Islanders, but beating the hungry Flyers will be a far more daunting task.
The Devils made it all the way to the Stanley Cup finals last year, but they lost their former captain, forward Zach Parise over the summer when the 28-year-old opted to sign with the Minnesota Wild as an unrestricted free agent. Parise was a key part of the Devils attack and with 22-year-old forward Adam Henrique (thumb) sidelined, the Devils look very thin up front.
Philadelphia – Forwards: 35-year-old Danny Briere (wrist), 22-year-old Zac Rinaldo (leg) Defensemen: 23-year-old Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), 38-year-old Chris Pronger (concussion), 32-year-old Matt Walker (hip)
New Jersey – Forwards: Henrique (thumb)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)