Jan 22, 2013, 9:37 AM EST
Los Angeles Kings fans shouldn’t write off Matt Greene just yet.
The Kings initially thought that they had lost the 29-year-old defenseman for the remainder of the season after he suffered a back ailment on Saturday. However, there’s still hope as it was later revealed that Greene will be out a minimum of six weeks with a herniated disc, according to TSN.
Losing Greene for the 2013 campaign would further compound the problems they face with the absence of 35-year-old defenseman Willie Mitchell. For now, they will still have to find a way to get by without two of the blueliners that helped them win the Stanley Cup last year.
To that end, the team has recalled 24-year-old defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk from the AHL Manchester Monarchs. Bodnarchuk had five games worth of NHL experience with the Boston Bruins before he inked a one-year deal with Los Angeles over the summer.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)