Jan 22, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Los Angeles Kings fans shouldn’t write off Matt Greene just yet.
The Kings initially thought that they had lost the 29-year-old defenseman for the remainder of the season after he suffered a back ailment on Saturday. However, there’s still hope as it was later revealed that Greene will be out a minimum of six weeks with a herniated disc, according to TSN.
Losing Greene for the 2013 campaign would further compound the problems they face with the absence of 35-year-old defenseman Willie Mitchell. For now, they will still have to find a way to get by without two of the blueliners that helped them win the Stanley Cup last year.
To that end, the team has recalled 24-year-old defenseman Andrew Bodnarchuk from the AHL Manchester Monarchs. Bodnarchuk had five games worth of NHL experience with the Boston Bruins before he inked a one-year deal with Los Angeles over the summer.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)