Jan 22, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Tomas Holmstrom confirmed reports that had surfaced for weeks, announcing his retirement after 15 NHL seasons — all of them spent in Detroit.
“After millions of memories, I’m here today to announce my retirement from Detroit Red Wings,” Holmstrom said. “It wasn’t easy decision to make, but it was the right one.
“I had a great job.”
Tributes came pouring in from team officials and players for the 40-year-old affectionately known as “Homer.”
Wings GM Ken Holland looked back on Holmstrom’s statistical accomplishments, noting that he played in the fourth-most playoff games in franchise history and retires as the club’s 13th-leading scorer all-time.
Detroit head coach Mike Babcock raved about Holmstrom’s work ethic and desire to win.
“He competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man,” Babcock said. “Very, very, ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country.”
Holmstrom’s legacy in Motown is left on the power play and, specifically, in front of the goal. The lumbering Swede turned net-front play into an art form — emerging as a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era.
He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Apr 1, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)