Jan 22, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Tomas Holmstrom confirmed reports that had surfaced for weeks, announcing his retirement after 15 NHL seasons — all of them spent in Detroit.
“After millions of memories, I’m here today to announce my retirement from Detroit Red Wings,” Holmstrom said. “It wasn’t easy decision to make, but it was the right one.
“I had a great job.”
Tributes came pouring in from team officials and players for the 40-year-old affectionately known as “Homer.”
Wings GM Ken Holland looked back on Holmstrom’s statistical accomplishments, noting that he played in the fourth-most playoff games in franchise history and retires as the club’s 13th-leading scorer all-time.
Detroit head coach Mike Babcock raved about Holmstrom’s work ethic and desire to win.
“He competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man,” Babcock said. “Very, very, ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country.”
Holmstrom’s legacy in Motown is left on the power play and, specifically, in front of the goal. The lumbering Swede turned net-front play into an art form — emerging as a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era.
He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
May 24, 2013, 7:16 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 24, 2013, 3:04 AM EDT
Typically, this is called.
May 24, 2013, 2:46 AM EDT
On the brink of elimination.
May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
Remember when he took the blame for first two losses against St. Louis?
May 24, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT
Second goal in 27 games.
May 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
Home team has won every game in this series.
May 24, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
“Something’s got to give,” Jonathan Toews said.
May 24, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Officially sidelined since Feb. 14 due to what GM Mike Gillis cited as safety concerns.
May 23, 2013, 11:44 PM EDT
Something you don’t see every game.
May 23, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
‘We’ve had streaks before,” he said.
May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Three straight penalties, still zero goals in the playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Detroit wins again.
May 23, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks’ frustrations continue.
May 23, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Game 4 win clearly made him chipper.
May 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
Chris Kreider with some more playoff magic.
May 23, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
Not Tuukka Rask’s best moments.
May 23, 2013, 9:25 PM EDT
GM David Poile compares him favorably to Brad Marchand.
May 23, 2013, 8:26 PM EDT
Mike Milbury isn’t totally certain.
May 23, 2013, 7:41 PM EDT
Limited to one joke regarding that Jeremy Roenick quip.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 18
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 38
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 71
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks