Jan 22, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Though it’s only two games into the regular season, Marian Hossa already has that winning feeling.
That’s what the Blackhawks winger told the Chicago Sun-Times after racing out to a 2-0 start to the season, thanks to victories over the Kings and Coyotes.
‘‘Right now, it feels like 2010,’’ Hossa said, referencing Chicago’s Cup-winning side of two year ago. ‘‘We had the four lines going [then], and right now we’re doing similar things.
“I know it’s only two games and it’s early to be talking about it, but I feel good about rolling four lines, so everyone’s more energized, instead of playing two or three lines so much.’’
The ability roll four lines is a hot topic in Chicago. Last year, the team relied almost exclusively on the top six of Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Viktor Stalberg and Dave Bolland — but this year, the ‘Hawks have already gotten contributions from Michael Frolik, Bryan Bickell, Dan Carcillo and Marcus Kruger.
The team is also getting more ice from last year’s surprise rookie standout, Andrew Shaw, who’s averaging nearly 16 minutes a night.
Head coach Joel Quenneville is excited about his depth up front, and also made the ’10 reference.
‘‘The 2010 team, we had four lines we were rotating,’’ he explained. ‘‘Everybody was going, and that’s what we’re talking about this season. We like that they’re all capable of playing against anybody. We like the depth.’’
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)