Jan 22, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Though it’s only two games into the regular season, Marian Hossa already has that winning feeling.
That’s what the Blackhawks winger told the Chicago Sun-Times after racing out to a 2-0 start to the season, thanks to victories over the Kings and Coyotes.
‘‘Right now, it feels like 2010,’’ Hossa said, referencing Chicago’s Cup-winning side of two year ago. ‘‘We had the four lines going [then], and right now we’re doing similar things.
“I know it’s only two games and it’s early to be talking about it, but I feel good about rolling four lines, so everyone’s more energized, instead of playing two or three lines so much.’’
The ability roll four lines is a hot topic in Chicago. Last year, the team relied almost exclusively on the top six of Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Viktor Stalberg and Dave Bolland — but this year, the ‘Hawks have already gotten contributions from Michael Frolik, Bryan Bickell, Dan Carcillo and Marcus Kruger.
The team is also getting more ice from last year’s surprise rookie standout, Andrew Shaw, who’s averaging nearly 16 minutes a night.
Head coach Joel Quenneville is excited about his depth up front, and also made the ’10 reference.
‘‘The 2010 team, we had four lines we were rotating,’’ he explained. ‘‘Everybody was going, and that’s what we’re talking about this season. We like that they’re all capable of playing against anybody. We like the depth.’’
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)