Jan 22, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
Though it’s only two games into the regular season, Marian Hossa already has that winning feeling.
That’s what the Blackhawks winger told the Chicago Sun-Times after racing out to a 2-0 start to the season, thanks to victories over the Kings and Coyotes.
‘‘Right now, it feels like 2010,’’ Hossa said, referencing Chicago’s Cup-winning side of two year ago. ‘‘We had the four lines going [then], and right now we’re doing similar things.
“I know it’s only two games and it’s early to be talking about it, but I feel good about rolling four lines, so everyone’s more energized, instead of playing two or three lines so much.’’
The ability roll four lines is a hot topic in Chicago. Last year, the team relied almost exclusively on the top six of Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Viktor Stalberg and Dave Bolland — but this year, the ‘Hawks have already gotten contributions from Michael Frolik, Bryan Bickell, Dan Carcillo and Marcus Kruger.
The team is also getting more ice from last year’s surprise rookie standout, Andrew Shaw, who’s averaging nearly 16 minutes a night.
Head coach Joel Quenneville is excited about his depth up front, and also made the ’10 reference.
‘‘The 2010 team, we had four lines we were rotating,’’ he explained. ‘‘Everybody was going, and that’s what we’re talking about this season. We like that they’re all capable of playing against anybody. We like the depth.’’
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 59
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22