Jan 22, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will soon get two of their biggest free agent acquisitions in the lineup.
The club announced on Tuesday that Roman Cervenka and Jiri Hudler are en route to Calgary and will be eligible to make their season debuts on Saturday, Jan. 26.
Cervenka, the KHL standout who signed with Calgary in May, has been away from the team while receiving blood clot treatment at the Mayo Clinic. He has been cleared to return to practice on Thursday, and could be in the lineup when Calgary takes on Edmonton at the Saddledome on Saturday.
Hudler, who Calgary pried away from Detroit with a four-year, $16 million deal in July, has been in the Czech Republic mourning the loss of his father, Jiri Sr. who passed away on Monday.
Hudler will join the Flames’ active roster on Wednesday but won’t participate in that evening’s game against Vancouver.
The Flames will be keen to get both back in the lineup. It’s been a rough start to the shortened campaign, as they’ve allowed nine goals in back-to-back losses to San Jose and Anaheim — and both games were in Calgary.
Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun reports Cervenka and Hudler could play on the same line together if/when they debut against the Canucks on Saturday.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)