Jan 22, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will soon get two of their biggest free agent acquisitions in the lineup.
The club announced on Tuesday that Roman Cervenka and Jiri Hudler are en route to Calgary and will be eligible to make their season debuts on Saturday, Jan. 26.
Cervenka, the KHL standout who signed with Calgary in May, has been away from the team while receiving blood clot treatment at the Mayo Clinic. He has been cleared to return to practice on Thursday, and could be in the lineup when Calgary takes on Edmonton at the Saddledome on Saturday.
Hudler, who Calgary pried away from Detroit with a four-year, $16 million deal in July, has been in the Czech Republic mourning the loss of his father, Jiri Sr. who passed away on Monday.
Hudler will join the Flames’ active roster on Wednesday but won’t participate in that evening’s game against Vancouver.
The Flames will be keen to get both back in the lineup. It’s been a rough start to the shortened campaign, as they’ve allowed nine goals in back-to-back losses to San Jose and Anaheim — and both games were in Calgary.
Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun reports Cervenka and Hudler could play on the same line together if/when they debut against the Canucks on Saturday.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)