Jan 22, 2013, 9:40 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames will soon get two of their biggest free agent acquisitions in the lineup.
The club announced on Tuesday that Roman Cervenka and Jiri Hudler are en route to Calgary and will be eligible to make their season debuts on Saturday, Jan. 26.
Cervenka, the KHL standout who signed with Calgary in May, has been away from the team while receiving blood clot treatment at the Mayo Clinic. He has been cleared to return to practice on Thursday, and could be in the lineup when Calgary takes on Edmonton at the Saddledome on Saturday.
Hudler, who Calgary pried away from Detroit with a four-year, $16 million deal in July, has been in the Czech Republic mourning the loss of his father, Jiri Sr. who passed away on Monday.
Hudler will join the Flames’ active roster on Wednesday but won’t participate in that evening’s game against Vancouver.
The Flames will be keen to get both back in the lineup. It’s been a rough start to the shortened campaign, as they’ve allowed nine goals in back-to-back losses to San Jose and Anaheim — and both games were in Calgary.
Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun reports Cervenka and Hudler could play on the same line together if/when they debut against the Canucks on Saturday.
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 10
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 24
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)