Jan 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
After failing to make the Canucks out of training camp, Jordan Schroeder is getting a second chance.
That’s the word out of Vancouver on Tuesday as the Canucks recalled Schroeder — the 22nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Chicago.
To make room for Schroeder, the Canucks sent defenseman Jim Vandermeer to the Wolves.
Eyebrows were raised when Schroeder was assigned to the AHL out of training camp, given many figured he had a great shot of cracking Vancouver’s roster with forwards Ryan Kesler and David Booth on the limp.
But the 22-year-old didn’t require waivers for assignment, meaning he was the easiest player to move down.
It’s likely that Schroeder will immediately challenge for Vancouver’s No. 2 center spot. Normally held by Kesler, the position was filled by journeyman Andrew Ebbett for the first two games of the season (Ebbett went pointless in both games, averaging around 12 minutes per night, with a minus-1 rating.)
Schroeder has been a solid scorer at the AHL level, potting 19 points in 30 games this year and 100 in 187 career games. It’ll be curious to see how he performs at the NHL level, though, especially considering his size — 5-foot-8, 175 pounds.
Sounds like Vancouver’s lines for Wednesday night’s tilt against Calgary will be:
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 0
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 1
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 42
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 1
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)