Jan 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
After failing to make the Canucks out of training camp, Jordan Schroeder is getting a second chance.
That’s the word out of Vancouver on Tuesday as the Canucks recalled Schroeder — the 22nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Chicago.
To make room for Schroeder, the Canucks sent defenseman Jim Vandermeer to the Wolves.
Eyebrows were raised when Schroeder was assigned to the AHL out of training camp, given many figured he had a great shot of cracking Vancouver’s roster with forwards Ryan Kesler and David Booth on the limp.
But the 22-year-old didn’t require waivers for assignment, meaning he was the easiest player to move down.
It’s likely that Schroeder will immediately challenge for Vancouver’s No. 2 center spot. Normally held by Kesler, the position was filled by journeyman Andrew Ebbett for the first two games of the season (Ebbett went pointless in both games, averaging around 12 minutes per night, with a minus-1 rating.)
Schroeder has been a solid scorer at the AHL level, potting 19 points in 30 games this year and 100 in 187 career games. It’ll be curious to see how he performs at the NHL level, though, especially considering his size — 5-foot-8, 175 pounds.
Sounds like Vancouver’s lines for Wednesday night’s tilt against Calgary will be:
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)