Jan 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
After failing to make the Canucks out of training camp, Jordan Schroeder is getting a second chance.
That’s the word out of Vancouver on Tuesday as the Canucks recalled Schroeder — the 22nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Chicago.
To make room for Schroeder, the Canucks sent defenseman Jim Vandermeer to the Wolves.
Eyebrows were raised when Schroeder was assigned to the AHL out of training camp, given many figured he had a great shot of cracking Vancouver’s roster with forwards Ryan Kesler and David Booth on the limp.
But the 22-year-old didn’t require waivers for assignment, meaning he was the easiest player to move down.
It’s likely that Schroeder will immediately challenge for Vancouver’s No. 2 center spot. Normally held by Kesler, the position was filled by journeyman Andrew Ebbett for the first two games of the season (Ebbett went pointless in both games, averaging around 12 minutes per night, with a minus-1 rating.)
Schroeder has been a solid scorer at the AHL level, potting 19 points in 30 games this year and 100 in 187 career games. It’ll be curious to see how he performs at the NHL level, though, especially considering his size — 5-foot-8, 175 pounds.
Sounds like Vancouver’s lines for Wednesday night’s tilt against Calgary will be:
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)