Jan 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
After failing to make the Canucks out of training camp, Jordan Schroeder is getting a second chance.
That’s the word out of Vancouver on Tuesday as the Canucks recalled Schroeder — the 22nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Chicago.
To make room for Schroeder, the Canucks sent defenseman Jim Vandermeer to the Wolves.
Eyebrows were raised when Schroeder was assigned to the AHL out of training camp, given many figured he had a great shot of cracking Vancouver’s roster with forwards Ryan Kesler and David Booth on the limp.
But the 22-year-old didn’t require waivers for assignment, meaning he was the easiest player to move down.
It’s likely that Schroeder will immediately challenge for Vancouver’s No. 2 center spot. Normally held by Kesler, the position was filled by journeyman Andrew Ebbett for the first two games of the season (Ebbett went pointless in both games, averaging around 12 minutes per night, with a minus-1 rating.)
Schroeder has been a solid scorer at the AHL level, potting 19 points in 30 games this year and 100 in 187 career games. It’ll be curious to see how he performs at the NHL level, though, especially considering his size — 5-foot-8, 175 pounds.
Sounds like Vancouver’s lines for Wednesday night’s tilt against Calgary will be:
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)