Jan 22, 2013, 1:17 PM EST
After failing to make the Canucks out of training camp, Jordan Schroeder is getting a second chance.
That’s the word out of Vancouver on Tuesday as the Canucks recalled Schroeder — the 22nd overall pick at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Chicago.
To make room for Schroeder, the Canucks sent defenseman Jim Vandermeer to the Wolves.
Eyebrows were raised when Schroeder was assigned to the AHL out of training camp, given many figured he had a great shot of cracking Vancouver’s roster with forwards Ryan Kesler and David Booth on the limp.
But the 22-year-old didn’t require waivers for assignment, meaning he was the easiest player to move down.
It’s likely that Schroeder will immediately challenge for Vancouver’s No. 2 center spot. Normally held by Kesler, the position was filled by journeyman Andrew Ebbett for the first two games of the season (Ebbett went pointless in both games, averaging around 12 minutes per night, with a minus-1 rating.)
Schroeder has been a solid scorer at the AHL level, potting 19 points in 30 games this year and 100 in 187 career games. It’ll be curious to see how he performs at the NHL level, though, especially considering his size — 5-foot-8, 175 pounds.
Sounds like Vancouver’s lines for Wednesday night’s tilt against Calgary will be:
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)