Jan 21, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
Ray Emery‘s fight back from the hip problem that ruined Bo Jackson makes for a great story, but it doesn’t necessarily make him an ideal goalie. The Chicago Blackhawks might have acknowledged that thought on Monday as they grabbed Calgary Flames backup Henrik Karlsson for a seventh-round draft pick in 2013.
Now, this doesn’t mean that Emery will be bumped down from his backup role behind Corey Crawford, but it’s hard to deny the possibility considering this trade (and how wobbly Emery looked in a 6-4 win against the Phoenix Coyotes on Sunday).
Karlsson isn’t exactly a highly seasoned NHL netminder despite being 29. He hasn’t seen much action behind Calgary workhorse Miikka Kiprusoff, having played in just 26 NHL games (including nine in 2010-11).
If nothing else, Karlsson seems likely to hover behind Emery as the team’s short-term No. 3 option – unless a Blackhawks prospect usurps him.
Karlsson’s departure begs the question: who gets to barely play behind Kipper in Calgary now?
It appears that prospect Leland Irving could be first in line, at least if the team’s current roster listing is any indication.
At 24, the 2006 first-rounder is approaching the point where Flames management might be getting antsy to see more results. He played in seven games last season, putting up a solid .912 save percentage despite some mediocre team results.
If you subscribe to the idea that this shortened season will mean more reps for backups, then Irving will finally get tested. We’ll see if it’s Emery or Karlsson getting most of the relief work for Chicago, too.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)