Jan 21, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
If you were pining for NHL-level fights during the lockout, then the first few days of the 2013 season should whet your appetite with fast food-like efficiency.
The Tampa Bay Lightning-New York Islanders game added to a growing trend of fights happening right off the faceoff during Monday afternoon and that didn’t halt at night. Jared Boll and Jordin Tootoo fought three seconds into the Columbus Blue Jackets’ home-opener against the Detroit Red Wings, which is happening right now on NBC SN:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones took notice of this pugilistic pattern, prompting them to share their thoughts on the subject during the first intermission of Red Wings-Blue Jackets:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now, it’s not like this is a tradition that began on Saturday. Last season’s Penguins-Islanders brawl-fest ranks as just one of the examples of how choreographed staged fighting is becoming. It just seems like quite a few teams are welcoming fans back by dropping the gloves early.
Technically, Colton Orr and John Scott didn’t drop the gloves first-things-first in tonight’s Buffalo Sabres-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Still, fighting 2:34 into a contest is still a pretty hasty duel … and a mighty battle that some of you will enjoy regardless:
So, how do you feel about these fights? Do you lean more toward Milbury’s stance or Jones’ side of the argument?
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)