Jan 21, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
If you were pining for NHL-level fights during the lockout, then the first few days of the 2013 season should whet your appetite with fast food-like efficiency.
The Tampa Bay Lightning-New York Islanders game added to a growing trend of fights happening right off the faceoff during Monday afternoon and that didn’t halt at night. Jared Boll and Jordin Tootoo fought three seconds into the Columbus Blue Jackets’ home-opener against the Detroit Red Wings, which is happening right now on NBC SN:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones took notice of this pugilistic pattern, prompting them to share their thoughts on the subject during the first intermission of Red Wings-Blue Jackets:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now, it’s not like this is a tradition that began on Saturday. Last season’s Penguins-Islanders brawl-fest ranks as just one of the examples of how choreographed staged fighting is becoming. It just seems like quite a few teams are welcoming fans back by dropping the gloves early.
Technically, Colton Orr and John Scott didn’t drop the gloves first-things-first in tonight’s Buffalo Sabres-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Still, fighting 2:34 into a contest is still a pretty hasty duel … and a mighty battle that some of you will enjoy regardless:
So, how do you feel about these fights? Do you lean more toward Milbury’s stance or Jones’ side of the argument?
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)