Jan 21, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
If you were pining for NHL-level fights during the lockout, then the first few days of the 2013 season should whet your appetite with fast food-like efficiency.
The Tampa Bay Lightning-New York Islanders game added to a growing trend of fights happening right off the faceoff during Monday afternoon and that didn’t halt at night. Jared Boll and Jordin Tootoo fought three seconds into the Columbus Blue Jackets’ home-opener against the Detroit Red Wings, which is happening right now on NBC SN:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones took notice of this pugilistic pattern, prompting them to share their thoughts on the subject during the first intermission of Red Wings-Blue Jackets:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now, it’s not like this is a tradition that began on Saturday. Last season’s Penguins-Islanders brawl-fest ranks as just one of the examples of how choreographed staged fighting is becoming. It just seems like quite a few teams are welcoming fans back by dropping the gloves early.
Technically, Colton Orr and John Scott didn’t drop the gloves first-things-first in tonight’s Buffalo Sabres-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Still, fighting 2:34 into a contest is still a pretty hasty duel … and a mighty battle that some of you will enjoy regardless:
So, how do you feel about these fights? Do you lean more toward Milbury’s stance or Jones’ side of the argument?
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 0
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)