Jan 21, 2013, 9:28 PM EST
If you were pining for NHL-level fights during the lockout, then the first few days of the 2013 season should whet your appetite with fast food-like efficiency.
The Tampa Bay Lightning-New York Islanders game added to a growing trend of fights happening right off the faceoff during Monday afternoon and that didn’t halt at night. Jared Boll and Jordin Tootoo fought three seconds into the Columbus Blue Jackets’ home-opener against the Detroit Red Wings, which is happening right now on NBC SN:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Mike Milbury and Keith Jones took notice of this pugilistic pattern, prompting them to share their thoughts on the subject during the first intermission of Red Wings-Blue Jackets:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Now, it’s not like this is a tradition that began on Saturday. Last season’s Penguins-Islanders brawl-fest ranks as just one of the examples of how choreographed staged fighting is becoming. It just seems like quite a few teams are welcoming fans back by dropping the gloves early.
Technically, Colton Orr and John Scott didn’t drop the gloves first-things-first in tonight’s Buffalo Sabres-Toronto Maple Leafs game. Still, fighting 2:34 into a contest is still a pretty hasty duel … and a mighty battle that some of you will enjoy regardless:
So, how do you feel about these fights? Do you lean more toward Milbury’s stance or Jones’ side of the argument?
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)