Jan 21, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals announced that defenseman Jack Hillen is “week-to-week” with a shoulder injury after sustaining this hit from Vincent Lecavalier in Saturday’s 6-3 loss to the Lightning:
The hit occurred midway through the second period and forced Hillen from the contest. The injury appears to be to his left shoulder, though it’s unclear exactly what the ailment is.
Lecavalier wasn’t penalized on the play.
According to CSN Washington, the Caps have recalled defenseman Tomas Kundratek to take Hillen’s place in the lineup.
Kundratek, 23, leads AHL Hershey in defenseman scoring (13 goals) and is a right-handed shot, like Hillen. It’s possible he’ll replace Hillen in the lineup for Tuesday’s home opener against the Jets, though head coach Adam Oates could switch things up from the seven defensemen and 11 forwards he dressed on Saturday.
CSN’s Chuck Gormley said it’s “expected” that Oates will go with 12 forwards against Winnipeg, giving Caps winger Eric Fehr a chance to make his season debut and go up against the team he played for last season.
Winnipeg didn’t offer Fehr a new contract this past summer, and Washington inked him to a one-year deal at the start of training camp.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)