Jan 21, 2013, 3:48 PM EST
The Washington Capitals announced that defenseman Jack Hillen is “week-to-week” with a shoulder injury after sustaining this hit from Vincent Lecavalier in Saturday’s 6-3 loss to the Lightning:
The hit occurred midway through the second period and forced Hillen from the contest. The injury appears to be to his left shoulder, though it’s unclear exactly what the ailment is.
Lecavalier wasn’t penalized on the play.
According to CSN Washington, the Caps have recalled defenseman Tomas Kundratek to take Hillen’s place in the lineup.
Kundratek, 23, leads AHL Hershey in defenseman scoring (13 goals) and is a right-handed shot, like Hillen. It’s possible he’ll replace Hillen in the lineup for Tuesday’s home opener against the Jets, though head coach Adam Oates could switch things up from the seven defensemen and 11 forwards he dressed on Saturday.
CSN’s Chuck Gormley said it’s “expected” that Oates will go with 12 forwards against Winnipeg, giving Caps winger Eric Fehr a chance to make his season debut and go up against the team he played for last season.
Winnipeg didn’t offer Fehr a new contract this past summer, and Washington inked him to a one-year deal at the start of training camp.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 18
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5