Jan 21, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals announced that defenseman Jack Hillen is “week-to-week” with a shoulder injury after sustaining this hit from Vincent Lecavalier in Saturday’s 6-3 loss to the Lightning:
The hit occurred midway through the second period and forced Hillen from the contest. The injury appears to be to his left shoulder, though it’s unclear exactly what the ailment is.
Lecavalier wasn’t penalized on the play.
According to CSN Washington, the Caps have recalled defenseman Tomas Kundratek to take Hillen’s place in the lineup.
Kundratek, 23, leads AHL Hershey in defenseman scoring (13 goals) and is a right-handed shot, like Hillen. It’s possible he’ll replace Hillen in the lineup for Tuesday’s home opener against the Jets, though head coach Adam Oates could switch things up from the seven defensemen and 11 forwards he dressed on Saturday.
CSN’s Chuck Gormley said it’s “expected” that Oates will go with 12 forwards against Winnipeg, giving Caps winger Eric Fehr a chance to make his season debut and go up against the team he played for last season.
Winnipeg didn’t offer Fehr a new contract this past summer, and Washington inked him to a one-year deal at the start of training camp.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 2
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)