Jan 21, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
On Monday, that report proved false.
Bertuzzi’s mono tests came back negative, according to MLive.com’s Ansar Khan — meaning the 37-year-old could return to the lineup in time for Detroit’s game Friday against Minnesota.
Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News claims Bertuzzi is only suffering from the flu.
Bertuzzi was just one of Wings unavailable to play in Saturday’s season-opening drubbing — a 6-0 loss — to St. Louis.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)