Jan 21, 2013, 5:01 PM EDT
On Monday, that report proved false.
Bertuzzi’s mono tests came back negative, according to MLive.com’s Ansar Khan — meaning the 37-year-old could return to the lineup in time for Detroit’s game Friday against Minnesota.
Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News claims Bertuzzi is only suffering from the flu.
Bertuzzi was just one of Wings unavailable to play in Saturday’s season-opening drubbing — a 6-0 loss — to St. Louis.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20