Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports (see here and here and here), the Toronto Maple Leafs will give goalie Ben Scrivens his second straight start on Monday night when they take on Buffalo at the Air Canada Centre.
Scrivens, 26, was something of a surprise start in Saturday’s season opener — a 2-1 win over Montreal — but played well, stopping 21 of 22 shots and earning the game’s second star.
“Benny was really good,” Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf said. “He was square to the puck. When we gave up shots he was there to control the rebounds into the corners.
“He was really solid tonight and I was really happy for him to get that win.”
Turns out Scrivens was also solid enough to earn consecutive starts.
With that in mind, it’ll be interesting to see if Scrivens can follow up on his opening-night success. Last year, he was outstanding in his season debut — a 4-1 win over Columbus, stopping 38 of 39 shots — only to get shellacked in his next outing, a 7-0 loss to Boston in which he allowed five goals and finished with a .643 save percentage.
It’ll also be interesting to see when James Reimer will make his season debut. Toronto is back in action on Wednesday against Pittsburgh — if that’s Reimer’s first appearance, it’ll be 306 days since his last game (Mar. 23 vs. New Jersey.)
In other lineup news, it appears as though Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle will switch things up on defense. Mark Fraser and Korbinian Holzer will draw in while Mike Komisarek and Cody Franson will be the healthy scratches.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)