Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports (see here and here and here), the Toronto Maple Leafs will give goalie Ben Scrivens his second straight start on Monday night when they take on Buffalo at the Air Canada Centre.
Scrivens, 26, was something of a surprise start in Saturday’s season opener — a 2-1 win over Montreal — but played well, stopping 21 of 22 shots and earning the game’s second star.
“Benny was really good,” Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf said. “He was square to the puck. When we gave up shots he was there to control the rebounds into the corners.
“He was really solid tonight and I was really happy for him to get that win.”
Turns out Scrivens was also solid enough to earn consecutive starts.
With that in mind, it’ll be interesting to see if Scrivens can follow up on his opening-night success. Last year, he was outstanding in his season debut — a 4-1 win over Columbus, stopping 38 of 39 shots — only to get shellacked in his next outing, a 7-0 loss to Boston in which he allowed five goals and finished with a .643 save percentage.
It’ll also be interesting to see when James Reimer will make his season debut. Toronto is back in action on Wednesday against Pittsburgh — if that’s Reimer’s first appearance, it’ll be 306 days since his last game (Mar. 23 vs. New Jersey.)
In other lineup news, it appears as though Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle will switch things up on defense. Mark Fraser and Korbinian Holzer will draw in while Mike Komisarek and Cody Franson will be the healthy scratches.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Blues acquired him from Toronto.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
Those prospects could get longer looks if Ryan Johansen misses the preseason.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
“It’s extortion is what it is. I don’t make this stuff up.”
Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Caps blueliner has had bad luck in the health department.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Florida’s youngsters stole the show overall.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
And he’ll reportedly miss part of Minnesota’s training camp.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
The former appeared in three games for Chicago last year; the latter played in Germany.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
Sep 16, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
The future of Detroit’s defense gets locked in.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
Just one month after re-signing Jakob Silfverberg on the cheap.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
“Fines are meaningful. And I think it has to do with essentially being called out.”
Sep 16, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
He’ll be part of the player development department.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
We pick a couple of long shots.
Sep 16, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Kings forward “didn’t want to become a free agent and leave” L.A.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 42
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (42)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)