Jan 21, 2013, 11:57 AM EST
According to multiple reports (see here and here and here), the Toronto Maple Leafs will give goalie Ben Scrivens his second straight start on Monday night when they take on Buffalo at the Air Canada Centre.
Scrivens, 26, was something of a surprise start in Saturday’s season opener — a 2-1 win over Montreal — but played well, stopping 21 of 22 shots and earning the game’s second star.
“Benny was really good,” Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf said. “He was square to the puck. When we gave up shots he was there to control the rebounds into the corners.
“He was really solid tonight and I was really happy for him to get that win.”
Turns out Scrivens was also solid enough to earn consecutive starts.
With that in mind, it’ll be interesting to see if Scrivens can follow up on his opening-night success. Last year, he was outstanding in his season debut — a 4-1 win over Columbus, stopping 38 of 39 shots — only to get shellacked in his next outing, a 7-0 loss to Boston in which he allowed five goals and finished with a .643 save percentage.
It’ll also be interesting to see when James Reimer will make his season debut. Toronto is back in action on Wednesday against Pittsburgh — if that’s Reimer’s first appearance, it’ll be 306 days since his last game (Mar. 23 vs. New Jersey.)
In other lineup news, it appears as though Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle will switch things up on defense. Mark Fraser and Korbinian Holzer will draw in while Mike Komisarek and Cody Franson will be the healthy scratches.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 12
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14