Jan 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Veteran Red Wings forward Tomas Holmstrom will call it a career on Tuesday, according to NHL.com.
Holmstrom, set to turn 40 this week, had mulled over returning to the Wings for a 16th season, but opted to retire just a few months after longtime Detroit teammate Nicklas Lidstrom hung up his skates.
A gritty competitor known for his net-front presence, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups with the Wings, scoring 243 goals and 530 points.
He was a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era. He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
“The interesting thing, for me, with Homer is — not a very good skater but was the quickest guy from the net front to the corner, back to the net front, that I’ve ever coached,” head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “Competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man.
“Very, very ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country, play I don’t know how many games. Pretty impressive.”
Holmstrom’s retirement presser/ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET in the Joe Louis Arena media room. Players and former teammates will be in attendance, prior to the home opener against Dallas.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:21 AM EST
The captain is still proud to be a Maple Leaf.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 26
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)