Jan 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Veteran Red Wings forward Tomas Holmstrom will call it a career on Tuesday, according to NHL.com.
Holmstrom, set to turn 40 this week, had mulled over returning to the Wings for a 16th season, but opted to retire just a few months after longtime Detroit teammate Nicklas Lidstrom hung up his skates.
A gritty competitor known for his net-front presence, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups with the Wings, scoring 243 goals and 530 points.
He was a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era. He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
“The interesting thing, for me, with Homer is — not a very good skater but was the quickest guy from the net front to the corner, back to the net front, that I’ve ever coached,” head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “Competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man.
“Very, very ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country, play I don’t know how many games. Pretty impressive.”
Holmstrom’s retirement presser/ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET in the Joe Louis Arena media room. Players and former teammates will be in attendance, prior to the home opener against Dallas.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)