Jan 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Veteran Red Wings forward Tomas Holmstrom will call it a career on Tuesday, according to NHL.com.
Holmstrom, set to turn 40 this week, had mulled over returning to the Wings for a 16th season, but opted to retire just a few months after longtime Detroit teammate Nicklas Lidstrom hung up his skates.
A gritty competitor known for his net-front presence, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups with the Wings, scoring 243 goals and 530 points.
He was a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era. He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
“The interesting thing, for me, with Homer is — not a very good skater but was the quickest guy from the net front to the corner, back to the net front, that I’ve ever coached,” head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “Competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man.
“Very, very ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country, play I don’t know how many games. Pretty impressive.”
Holmstrom’s retirement presser/ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET in the Joe Louis Arena media room. Players and former teammates will be in attendance, prior to the home opener against Dallas.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)