Jan 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Veteran Red Wings forward Tomas Holmstrom will call it a career on Tuesday, according to NHL.com.
Holmstrom, set to turn 40 this week, had mulled over returning to the Wings for a 16th season, but opted to retire just a few months after longtime Detroit teammate Nicklas Lidstrom hung up his skates.
A gritty competitor known for his net-front presence, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups with the Wings, scoring 243 goals and 530 points.
He was a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era. He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
“The interesting thing, for me, with Homer is — not a very good skater but was the quickest guy from the net front to the corner, back to the net front, that I’ve ever coached,” head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “Competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man.
“Very, very ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country, play I don’t know how many games. Pretty impressive.”
Holmstrom’s retirement presser/ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET in the Joe Louis Arena media room. Players and former teammates will be in attendance, prior to the home opener against Dallas.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 82
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 91
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 102
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (117)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (103)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (91)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)