Jan 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Veteran Red Wings forward Tomas Holmstrom will call it a career on Tuesday, according to NHL.com.
Holmstrom, set to turn 40 this week, had mulled over returning to the Wings for a 16th season, but opted to retire just a few months after longtime Detroit teammate Nicklas Lidstrom hung up his skates.
A gritty competitor known for his net-front presence, Holmstrom won four Stanley Cups with the Wings, scoring 243 goals and 530 points.
He was a staple of some of Detroit’s most lethal power play units during the 90s and 2k era. He had at least 10 PPG seven times during his career, and has the third-most power play markers in franchise history, behind Lidstrom and Gordie Howe.
“The interesting thing, for me, with Homer is — not a very good skater but was the quickest guy from the net front to the corner, back to the net front, that I’ve ever coached,” head coach Mike Babcock told the Detroit Free Press. “Competed to get to his spot, was a great, great, great teammate, great man.
“Very, very ultra-competitive. All the best players are ultra-competitive. And found a way to win four Stanley Cup championships and represent his country, play I don’t know how many games. Pretty impressive.”
Holmstrom’s retirement presser/ceremony will take place on Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. ET in the Joe Louis Arena media room. Players and former teammates will be in attendance, prior to the home opener against Dallas.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)