Jan 21, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets both lost a key player over the summer, but that’s about all they have in common.
The Wings have a history of success, but the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom combined with the off-season departure of fellow blueliner Brad Stuart added new fuel to a question that has followed the team for years: Is the dynasty dying?
Detroit hasn’t made it further than the Western Conference Semi-Finals in the previous three campaigns and they have watch several of the key players from their 2008 Stanley Cup run retire. The Red Wings have done a remarkable job of developing prospects despite their typically unfavorable draft positions, but the salary cap has made it difficult for them to lure big-name outside talent to their franchise.
After losing out on Zach Parise and Ryan Suter over the summer, Red Wings GM Ken Holland seemed to downplay expectations by saying that the team might not make the playoffs for the first time since the 1989-90 campaign.
Expectations are not something the Blue Jackets are plagued with. Even the face of their franchise, Rick Nash, gave up on the team and asked to be traded. With him gone, it would not be shocking if Columbus finished in dead last in the standings for the second consecutive season.
At the same time, the Blue Jackets managed to squeeze out a win in their season opener and goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky was particularly impressive in his Columbus debut. Bobrovsky had an up-and-down tenure with Philadelphia, but if he can continue to give the Blue Jackets solid performances, they might defy expectations.
The two teams will play tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Probable goaltenders: DET – Jimmy Howard (0-1-0, 7.32 GAA, .821 SV%) | CBJ – Sergei Bobrovsky (1-0-0, 1.85 GAA, .941 SV%)
Top scorers: DET – None (shutout in opener) | CBJ – Fedor Tyutin (0-2-2, 1 GP)
Detroit – Todd Bertuzzi (mono), Darren Helm (back), Jonas Gustavsson (groin), Jan Mursak (collarbone), Jakub Kindl (groin), Jonathan Ericsson (shoulder)
Columbus – Ryan Murray (shoulder)
May 25, 2013, 11:42 AM EDT
This sounds a bit familiar.
May 25, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
He was Philly’s coach for four years.
May 25, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Chicago and New York look to live another day.
May 25, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
His blue line experience was missed.
May 25, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT
One loss away from elimination.
May 25, 2013, 1:03 AM EDT
Future of the NHL.
May 25, 2013, 12:20 AM EDT
Now, that’s a toe-drag.
May 24, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT
Was Friday’s loss his last NHL games?
May 24, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Pittsburgh wins in five games.
May 24, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Bad blood, although this seemed unnecessary.
May 24, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Big developments coming out of the desert.
May 24, 2013, 10:27 PM EDT
Await winner of Boston-New York.
May 24, 2013, 10:09 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
L.A. can move to conference final with a win over the Sharks in Game 6.
May 24, 2013, 9:19 PM EDT
Not speaking about Bobrovsky, but in general.
May 24, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
You be the judge.
May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Including one of his coaching rivals from the QMJHL.
May 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma sticking with the same lineup.
May 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Kevin Prendergast (pictured) and longtime NHL netminder Ron Tugnutt were let go.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination