Jan 21, 2013, 8:37 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings and Columbus Blue Jackets both lost a key player over the summer, but that’s about all they have in common.
The Wings have a history of success, but the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom combined with the off-season departure of fellow blueliner Brad Stuart added new fuel to a question that has followed the team for years: Is the dynasty dying?
Detroit hasn’t made it further than the Western Conference Semi-Finals in the previous three campaigns and they have watch several of the key players from their 2008 Stanley Cup run retire. The Red Wings have done a remarkable job of developing prospects despite their typically unfavorable draft positions, but the salary cap has made it difficult for them to lure big-name outside talent to their franchise.
After losing out on Zach Parise and Ryan Suter over the summer, Red Wings GM Ken Holland seemed to downplay expectations by saying that the team might not make the playoffs for the first time since the 1989-90 campaign.
Expectations are not something the Blue Jackets are plagued with. Even the face of their franchise, Rick Nash, gave up on the team and asked to be traded. With him gone, it would not be shocking if Columbus finished in dead last in the standings for the second consecutive season.
At the same time, the Blue Jackets managed to squeeze out a win in their season opener and goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky was particularly impressive in his Columbus debut. Bobrovsky had an up-and-down tenure with Philadelphia, but if he can continue to give the Blue Jackets solid performances, they might defy expectations.
The two teams will play tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Probable goaltenders: DET – Jimmy Howard (0-1-0, 7.32 GAA, .821 SV%) | CBJ – Sergei Bobrovsky (1-0-0, 1.85 GAA, .941 SV%)
Top scorers: DET – None (shutout in opener) | CBJ – Fedor Tyutin (0-2-2, 1 GP)
Detroit – Todd Bertuzzi (mono), Darren Helm (back), Jonas Gustavsson (groin), Jan Mursak (collarbone), Jakub Kindl (groin), Jonathan Ericsson (shoulder)
Columbus – Ryan Murray (shoulder)
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Incident occurred during Tuesday’s Flyers-Blackhawks game.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
“I think if the authorities act properly and do a complete investigation, they will have to find that charges are not warranted.”
Oct 22, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
With second division outfit EV Landshut.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT
It would have been an incredible goal.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Canucks coach Willie Desjardins fought against the idea that Dallas got lucky last night.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Maybe this is what Philadelphia needs.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Yes, there was a goaltender in net.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)