Marleau scores twice vs. Flames after getting mocked by Calgary radio station

Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Patrick Marleau Sharks

Patrick Marleau said he didn’t hear the “Sarcastic Player Profile” that aired on a Calgary radio station before going out and scoring two goals in a 4-1 win over the Flames on Sunday night.

But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.

That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.

The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau’s] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he’s] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”

It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.

Listen to the full clip here.

Here’s the response, from Pollak:

The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.

I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.

But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.

That said, the Calgary Sun did report that Marleau “showed some emotion” after scoring both goals, and noted that captain Joe Thornton was trying to get Marleau a third goal near the end of the game.

“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.

“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”

Related

Roenick on Marleau: “I don’t know if he has it in him”

Marleau on Roenick’s critique: “It’s not worth my time”

Latest Posts
  1. Oilers, Flames AHL affiliates to play outdoor game

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

gshr_raley

Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.

2. Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Patrick Kane

As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.

3. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

4. Blackhawks sign Nordstrom to a one-year deal

Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.

5. After recovering from serious bike crash, Sarich holds out comeback hope

Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Calgary Flames Getty Images

“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”

6. Trade target Cowen says Sens’ support has been ‘awesome’

Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

Jared Cowen

“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”

7. Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club

Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT

Antti Raanta Antti Raanta

He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.

8. Report: Devils captain Salvador to retire this week (Update: Official)

Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT

Bryce Salvador #24 of the New Jersey Devils skates against the New York Islanders at the Prudential Center on September 19, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey.
(September 18, 2013 - Source: Bruce Bennett/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

After missing most of last season with a back injury.

9. Sharks to honor original owner Gund with banner

Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.

10. Canes coach Peters making tweaks with emphasis on being more dangerous offensively

Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.

11. Eichel planning to move in with Moulson

Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”

12. Lightning’s trip to Stanley Cup Final boosts season ticket sales

Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT

Stamkos Getty Images

They had strong attendance numbers last season too.

13. St. Louis offers Upshall a professional tryout

Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Scottie Upshall Getty Images

The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.

14. Crosby, Toews, Weber, Price lead pack in NHL 16’s ratings

Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stadium Series - Pittsburgh Penguins v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.

15. Marchand rehabbing from offseason elbow surgery

Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT

Brad Marchand Getty Images

He played through the injury in 2014-15.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches