Marleau scores twice vs. Flames after getting mocked by Calgary radio station

Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Patrick Marleau Sharks

Patrick Marleau said he didn’t hear the “Sarcastic Player Profile” that aired on a Calgary radio station before going out and scoring two goals in a 4-1 win over the Flames on Sunday night.

But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.

That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.

The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau's] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he's] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”

It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.

Listen to the full clip here.

Here’s the response, from Pollak:

The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.

I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.

But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.

That said, the Calgary Sun did report that Marleau “showed some emotion” after scoring both goals, and noted that captain Joe Thornton was trying to get Marleau a third goal near the end of the game.

“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.

“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”

Related

Roenick on Marleau: “I don’t know if he has it in him”

Marleau on Roenick’s critique: “It’s not worth my time”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos

Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

J.T. Brown, Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Drouin AP

Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.

2. Columbus activates Milano from IR, gets McElhinney back

Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT

Sonny Milano Getty Images

They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.

3. Struggling Sharks bump Pavelski down to third line

Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

San Jose Sharks v New York Rangers Getty Images

San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.

4. Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL

Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Washington Capitals v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.

5. With 3-on-3 overtime, only two out of 16 AHL games have gone to shootout

Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AHLlogo

Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.

6. BizNasty signs with the Devils (the ones in Wales)

Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Paul Bissonnette Getty Images

Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.

7. Goalie nods: Gibson returns for Anaheim

Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

All the news and notes from the blue paint…

8. Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’

Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”

9. Roy ‘not nervous about Xs and Os,’ says slumping Avs need to be better individually

Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Patrick Roy Patrick Roy

“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”

10. Hextall: ‘There’s not a lot out there’ to bolster depleted Flyers defense

Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT

Flyers Draft Hockey AP

“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”

11. Dallas getting greener on D, but Ruff says issues are on him

Oct 24, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

Lindy Ruff Lindy Ruff

“I’m going to focus on the good and try to clean up the bad parts. That’s my job.”

12. Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Boston Bruins v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Click to see Boston’s schedule through the end of November.

13. Video: Hitch hammers the Blues: ‘This is a wake-up call’

Oct 24, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Six Getty Images

“We’ve given up more odd-man rushes in six hockey games than we did in two months last year.”

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive