Marleau scores twice vs. Flames after getting mocked by Calgary radio station

Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Patrick Marleau Sharks

Patrick Marleau said he didn’t hear the “Sarcastic Player Profile” that aired on a Calgary radio station before going out and scoring two goals in a 4-1 win over the Flames on Sunday night.

But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.

That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.

The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau's] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he's] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”

It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.

Listen to the full clip here.

Here’s the response, from Pollak:

The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.

I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.

But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.

That said, the Calgary Sun did report that Marleau “showed some emotion” after scoring both goals, and noted that captain Joe Thornton was trying to get Marleau a third goal near the end of the game.

“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.

“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”

Related

Roenick on Marleau: “I don’t know if he has it in him”

Marleau on Roenick’s critique: “It’s not worth my time”