Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.
That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.
The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau's] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he's] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”
It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.
Here’s the response, from Pollak:
The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.
I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.
But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.
“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.
“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)