Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.
That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.
The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau's] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he's] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”
It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.
Here’s the response, from Pollak:
The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.
I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.
But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.
“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.
“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 1
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 25
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25