Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.
That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.
The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau’s] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he’s] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”
It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.
Here’s the response, from Pollak:
The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.
I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.
But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.
“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.
“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)