Marleau scores twice vs. Flames after getting mocked by Calgary radio station

Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Patrick Marleau Sharks

Patrick Marleau said he didn’t hear the “Sarcastic Player Profile” that aired on a Calgary radio station before going out and scoring two goals in a 4-1 win over the Flames on Sunday night.

But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.

That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.

The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau's] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he's] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”

It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.

Listen to the full clip here.

Here’s the response, from Pollak:

The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.

I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.

But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.

That said, the Calgary Sun did report that Marleau “showed some emotion” after scoring both goals, and noted that captain Joe Thornton was trying to get Marleau a third goal near the end of the game.

“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.

“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”

Related

Roenick on Marleau: “I don’t know if he has it in him”

Marleau on Roenick’s critique: “It’s not worth my time”

1. misterchainbluelightning - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Dear Calgary
    You haven’t been relevant in over 20 decades. You had one fluke run at the Cup and failed. You shouldn’t be saying anything about anyone.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Well said!

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM

2 decades, lol TWO

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jan 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Funny enough they did beat San Jose in that cup run, not sure if it’s a fluke though when you beat the top 3 teams in the conference and then lose by 1 goal in game 7 of the cup final, but I digress.

The truth is the Fan 960 is a bad radio station that is struggling desperately to get any sort of ratings (outside of Flames games) the bit does sound somewhat funny but what’s even funnier is that guys on the Fan were quite excited about the prospects of getting Marleau a few years ago when he was surrounded by trade rumors.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Its the definition of fluke actually

2. sjsharks66 - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Wait, how many games did Calgary play last year in the playoffs? Oh yeah….

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jan 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM

You’re really going to bring up the playoffs? People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.

3. bleedingteal4life - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Oh Calgary, revenge is sweet…

4. nogoodtomedead - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Everyone pretty much covered it- it will be really funny when Iginla gets dealt at the deadline and the Flames are even less relevant after that.

5. kitshky - Jan 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I don’t buy this whole Marleau hate train, and God knows I got no love for Calgary and totally glad it came back and burned em …buuut …that was kinda funny.

6. atwatercrushesokoye - Jan 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I believe Marleau when he says he didn’t hear it because outside of the actual game broadcasts NO ONE listens to the Fan 960!

It is kind of funny reading all of the Sharks fans talking about Calgary not being relevant, but I guess with all of the great cup runs the Sharks have had they’ve earned that right….oh wait….

• nogoodtomedead - Jan 21, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I get everyone thinks San Jose fans should shut up until they win a cup- but they have been one of the best teams in the Western Conference for a decade running now- that is being relevant- even if it isn’t winning it all. The only reason people talk about Calgary at all is because of Iginla rumors. THAT is being irrelevant as a franchise.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches