Jan 21, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
But hey, it would’ve made for a nice story.
That was the word out of San Jose last night as the Mercury News’ David Pollak asked the Sharks forward about the on-air roasting Sportsnet’s Fan 960 did on Jan. 18.
The station created a Marleau profile parody, featuring lines like “[Marleau's] best trait is his ability to conserve energy,” and “[he's] always leaving gas in the tank for the Sharks’ annual five-game Stanley Cup playoff run.”
It also mocked Marleau for being removed as Sharks captain.
Here’s the response, from Pollak:
The fact that it was Marleau who scored twice, by the way, had to be a little galling to the folks at a Calgary radio station who tried to skewer him with a phony tribute, a satirical attempt that questioned his leadership and his effort.
I’d like to think that maybe that helped motivate Marleau, only because it would be a nice little storyline.
But when I asked him about it, he said it was the first he had heard. No storyline then, but I figured I’d mention it here now anyway.
“I was trying to get Pat the hat-trick,” Thornton said. “He’s had quite a few of them in the past, but I was trying to get him one. It didn’t quite work out.
“I’m a passer. I thought he was right behind me. I thought I would give it to him and see if he could bury it.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 27
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 13
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54