Jan 21, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
Roberto Luongo wasn’t bad, but he did get bested by Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky in the shootout as the Edmonton Oilers went on to earn a 3-2 victory on Sunday. More importantly, he wasn’t able to be the hero Vancouver was looking for after its rough loss on Saturday.
“We deserved to win,” said Luongo, according to Sun Media’s Hosea Cheung. “Both (regulation) goals, I could have done a better job.”
Vancouver defied expectations by entering the season with Luongo and Cory Schneider, despite the fact that Schneider inked a three-year, $12 million contract in the off-season. The result is that the Canucks have $9,333,333 million of their annual cap committed to their goaltenders, which will be particularly problematic when the cap goes down to $64.3 million next season.
Still, in the short term there are some benefits. Having two elite-level goaltenders could prove to be critical due to the condensed schedule. It gave them the flexibility to go with Schneider on Saturday and Luongo on Sunday.
Of course, that hasn’t worked out for them yet and the Canucks are down 0-1-1. Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault has a lot on his plate and more than one issue he’ll need to address going forward, but the one with the most intrigue is this: Which goaltender will get the nod on Wednesday against Calgary?
Will he go back to Schneider despite his rough outing in the season opener or will he stick with Luongo, who was an improvement on Sunday? Or will Luongo get traded in the coming days and force the Canucks to fully embrace the Schneider era?
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)