Jan 21, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
Armed with a new contract, Panthers defenseman Dmitry Kulikov is all set to make his season debut tonight in Ottawa.
Last week, the 22-year-old signed a two-year, $5 million deal, rewarding the 14th overall pick in the 2009 draft for a 2011-12 season that saw him score 28 points (4 G, 24 A) in 58 games.
Kulikov spent the NHL lockout with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv of the KHL. He missed the Panthers’ season opener on Saturday — a 5-1 victory over Carolina — due to jet lag.
“It’s been a long time since I’ve played in an NHL game, so I’m excited to help the team,” he said, per the Sun Sentinel.
The Panthers are also expected to get defenseman Mike Weaver (concussions symptoms) back tonight.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 43
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 18
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M