Jan 21, 2013, 3:04 PM EST
Last March, when Toronto hired Randy Carlyle to replace fired head coach Ron Wilson, Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul must’ve been wondering what he’d done to deserve it.
Carlyle and Lupul had been together before in Anaheim, and let’s just say the relationship had its issues.
But to his credit, Carlyle was quick to admit he misused Lupul with the Ducks.
And if you had any doubt there was no lingering resentment, Lupul this weekend agreed to stay in Toronto through 2017-18 with a five-year, $26.5 million contract extension.
“Lupes and I didn’t see eye to eye, in the past,” Carlyle said, per the Globe and Mail. “Because of the type of player [he was]. He’s a much different player now than what he was then and that’s partly because a) I didn’t give him the right situation or put him in the right situation and b) he suffered almost a career-ending injury and he’s taken a different approach to his preparation, both physically and mentally.
“He’s a much more complete hockey player today than he was five or six years ago. He’s not the only player you can say that about. I think Lupes has shown a tremendous amount of leadership, a lot of courage and a lot of grit and determination to get where he is.”
Of course, that’s not stopping people from questioning the money and term the Leafs have committed to Lupul, a 29-year-old with an extensive injury history.
Feb 27, 2015, 12:11 PM EST
The Minnesota Wild have placed 33-year-old winger Stephane Veilleux on waivers, per Sportsnet. Veilleux, who’s appeared in over 400 career contests for the Wild, has played 12 games this year, scoring two points while averaging 7:42 TOI per night. It seems as though he’s the odd man out following the Sean Bergenheim trade; in last…
Feb 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Didn’t get the power-play time in Toronto.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:39 AM EST
“He actually said, ‘Can you believe I’m calling you on this guy?’ And I said, ‘No, I can’t. But let’s talk.”
Feb 27, 2015, 11:13 AM EST
Norris candidate will sit after getting injured during Wednesday’s win over New Jersey; Tyler Wotherspoon has been recalled from AHL Adirondack.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:56 AM EST
Starting tonight in New Jersey.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:54 AM EST
Announced his retirement on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:53 AM EST
He endured a rough stretch, but has bounced back recently.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
He’ll bring experience, but at 43 years old can he also give Florida a boost offensively?
Feb 27, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Feb 27, 2015, 1:16 AM EST
His shutout streak is now at 172:22.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Nino Niederreiter combined skill and good fortune to help his team win.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
Making room for Andrej Sekera.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:30 PM EST
Nice work from Craig Smith and Nino Niederreiter, respectively.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
The possibilities are extensive, it seems.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 PM EST
Giving up precious points.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EST
Two goals on eight shots was enough to inspire a change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:37 PM EST
He doesn’t regret signing with Toronto, though he’s welcoming the change.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Minnesota needs this against one of the West’s best.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)