Jan 21, 2013, 3:04 PM EDT
Last March, when Toronto hired Randy Carlyle to replace fired head coach Ron Wilson, Maple Leafs forward Joffrey Lupul must’ve been wondering what he’d done to deserve it.
Carlyle and Lupul had been together before in Anaheim, and let’s just say the relationship had its issues.
But to his credit, Carlyle was quick to admit he misused Lupul with the Ducks.
And if you had any doubt there was no lingering resentment, Lupul this weekend agreed to stay in Toronto through 2017-18 with a five-year, $26.5 million contract extension.
“Lupes and I didn’t see eye to eye, in the past,” Carlyle said, per the Globe and Mail. “Because of the type of player [he was]. He’s a much different player now than what he was then and that’s partly because a) I didn’t give him the right situation or put him in the right situation and b) he suffered almost a career-ending injury and he’s taken a different approach to his preparation, both physically and mentally.
“He’s a much more complete hockey player today than he was five or six years ago. He’s not the only player you can say that about. I think Lupes has shown a tremendous amount of leadership, a lot of courage and a lot of grit and determination to get where he is.”
Of course, that’s not stopping people from questioning the money and term the Leafs have committed to Lupul, a 29-year-old with an extensive injury history.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 10
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 20
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 41
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)