Jan 21, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
For the second straight game, veteran winger Jamie Langenbrunner will watch the St. Louis Blues play in street clothes.
Head coach Ken Hitchcock decided to keep his lineup the same for Monday’s game against the Predators in Nashville, which is pretty reasonable after his team destroyed Detroit 6-0 in the season-opener.
Hitchcock told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that he doesn’t think the jersey space-challenging forward will be a regular on the healthy scratch list, however.*
“We felt like if everybody came through healthy and we played that well, why change the lineup,” Hitchcock said. “You know, they’re going to play. I think sometimes you start over-thinking, like you don’t want to get guys too far away from it.
“But (Langenbrunner) knows the deal. He’s a veteran guy; he knows the deal. And I think when he gets in, he’s going to be a good player, and when he gets in he’s not going to get pushed out.”
Some might believe that the 37-year-old is nearing the end of the road, though.
He’s coming off his worst full statistical season in 2011-12. He averaged just 14:37 minutes per game while managing a middling six goals and 24 points. Langenbrunner isn’t that far removed from the days where he fell in the 60-point range, but it’s unlikely he’ll approach that level again.
Right now, he’s just trying to get back in the lineup.
* – And not just to save fabric and ink, am I right?
Apr 18, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
He received an instigator penalty late in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
He’s been out since mid-March with an arm injury.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay looks to avoid a sixth straight postseason loss.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (82)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)