Jan 21, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Free agency didn’t put a big dent in the Los Angeles Kings’ roster, but injuries on defense could make their repeat bid that much tougher.
The team’s already dealing with Willie Mitchell‘s indefinite absence, but word surfaced from TSN on Monday that Matt Greene will miss the rest of the season with a back ailment suffered during the team’s season-opener on Saturday.
Greene isn’t a top guy like Mitchell is, yet the 29-year-old blueliner has been a useful veteran depth guy in a system that’s heavy on younger defensemen. He played in all of the Kings regular season and playoff games last season.
Los Angeles is well-stocked with prospects, yet GM Dean Lombardi may very well opt to trade for a more experienced presence. Many believe that hyped backup goalie Jonathan Bernier has some serious value on the market, so perhaps he’ll feel compelled to pull the trigger considering the banged-up blueline corps.
How would you handle this dilemma?
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 13
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 13
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)