Jan 21, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Free agency didn’t put a big dent in the Los Angeles Kings’ roster, but injuries on defense could make their repeat bid that much tougher.
The team’s already dealing with Willie Mitchell‘s indefinite absence, but word surfaced from TSN on Monday that Matt Greene will miss the rest of the season with a back ailment suffered during the team’s season-opener on Saturday.
Greene isn’t a top guy like Mitchell is, yet the 29-year-old blueliner has been a useful veteran depth guy in a system that’s heavy on younger defensemen. He played in all of the Kings regular season and playoff games last season.
Los Angeles is well-stocked with prospects, yet GM Dean Lombardi may very well opt to trade for a more experienced presence. Many believe that hyped backup goalie Jonathan Bernier has some serious value on the market, so perhaps he’ll feel compelled to pull the trigger considering the banged-up blueline corps.
How would you handle this dilemma?
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)