Jan 21, 2013, 7:14 PM EDT
Free agency didn’t put a big dent in the Los Angeles Kings’ roster, but injuries on defense could make their repeat bid that much tougher.
The team’s already dealing with Willie Mitchell‘s indefinite absence, but word surfaced from TSN on Monday that Matt Greene will miss the rest of the season with a back ailment suffered during the team’s season-opener on Saturday.
Greene isn’t a top guy like Mitchell is, yet the 29-year-old blueliner has been a useful veteran depth guy in a system that’s heavy on younger defensemen. He played in all of the Kings regular season and playoff games last season.
Los Angeles is well-stocked with prospects, yet GM Dean Lombardi may very well opt to trade for a more experienced presence. Many believe that hyped backup goalie Jonathan Bernier has some serious value on the market, so perhaps he’ll feel compelled to pull the trigger considering the banged-up blueline corps.
How would you handle this dilemma?
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)