Jan 21, 2013, 7:14 PM EST
Free agency didn’t put a big dent in the Los Angeles Kings’ roster, but injuries on defense could make their repeat bid that much tougher.
The team’s already dealing with Willie Mitchell‘s indefinite absence, but word surfaced from TSN on Monday that Matt Greene will miss the rest of the season with a back ailment suffered during the team’s season-opener on Saturday.
Greene isn’t a top guy like Mitchell is, yet the 29-year-old blueliner has been a useful veteran depth guy in a system that’s heavy on younger defensemen. He played in all of the Kings regular season and playoff games last season.
Los Angeles is well-stocked with prospects, yet GM Dean Lombardi may very well opt to trade for a more experienced presence. Many believe that hyped backup goalie Jonathan Bernier has some serious value on the market, so perhaps he’ll feel compelled to pull the trigger considering the banged-up blueline corps.
How would you handle this dilemma?
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 11
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (150)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)