Jan 20, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
Usually you want to try to avoid reading too much into a rough start to the season, but with the 48-game schedule, a 0-2-0 record is concerning. After dropping games against Pittsburgh and Buffalo, Philadelphia needs answers quickly if they want to avoid digging a bigger hole for themselves.
One of the areas that they’ve struggled in early on is killing penalties. Philadelphia was merely adequate in that regard last season, but they’ve already surrendered five power-play goals in just two contests in 2013. That accounts for the Flyers’ entire goals deficit so far.
“There’s lots of things, but yes, we have to be better in that area,” Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said in a CSN Philly report. “… the penalty kill we have to look at it and work at it.
“Every day is a new opportunity, but we gotta get on track here, get a win in the column and moving in the right direction.”
Flyers captain Claude Giroux suggested that the team needed to get off to a better start in Sunday’s 5-2 loss to Buffalo and Danny Briere‘s absence due to a hairline fracture in his wrist is also hurting them.
Whatever the problems might be, the Flyers need to address them quickly. The condensed schedule means that Philadelphia won’t have much time to reflect on its early losses. After getting Monday off, they will play five games in just eight days. That stretch includes two games against the New York Rangers and one against another division rival, the New Jersey Devils.
“We gotta change the situation quickly if we want to be part of the playoff race,” Ilya Bryzgalov noted.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waiver their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
“I spent seven years there.”
Apr 27, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
“I’m on my way to coming back. I’m just going through the protocol.”
Apr 27, 2015, 10:07 AM EDT
Boston will also interview Ray Shero and Paul Fenton.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Injury information trickling in following Ottawa’s Game 6 loss.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
He was one of Pittsburgh’s final cuts in the fall.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
The Islanders and Capitals meet in Game 7 for the first time since 1987.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
That’s a fairly modest increase compared to some of the jumps we’ve seen in the past.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
He has every right to be.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 0
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)