Jan 20, 2013, 5:56 PM EST
Drew Stafford isn’t known for fighting prowess. In fact, going into the Buffalo Sabres’ season opener against the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, Stafford hadn’t dropped his gloves since Feb. 6, 2010, according to hockeyfights.com.
Still, after the Flyers’ Scott Hartnell delivered a couple questionable hits, Stafford decided to defend his teammates.
Hartnell controlled the scrap early on, but Stafford turned things around towards the end to send Hartnell to the ice. You can watch the entire event below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the brawl, Stafford spoke about the Sabres’ desire to be a “harder team to play against” this season. You can also see that interview below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)