Jan 20, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
Drew Stafford isn’t known for fighting prowess. In fact, going into the Buffalo Sabres’ season opener against the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, Stafford hadn’t dropped his gloves since Feb. 6, 2010, according to hockeyfights.com.
Still, after the Flyers’ Scott Hartnell delivered a couple questionable hits, Stafford decided to defend his teammates.
Hartnell controlled the scrap early on, but Stafford turned things around towards the end to send Hartnell to the ice. You can watch the entire event below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the brawl, Stafford spoke about the Sabres’ desire to be a “harder team to play against” this season. You can also see that interview below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)