Jan 20, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
Drew Stafford isn’t known for fighting prowess. In fact, going into the Buffalo Sabres’ season opener against the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, Stafford hadn’t dropped his gloves since Feb. 6, 2010, according to hockeyfights.com.
Still, after the Flyers’ Scott Hartnell delivered a couple questionable hits, Stafford decided to defend his teammates.
Hartnell controlled the scrap early on, but Stafford turned things around towards the end to send Hartnell to the ice. You can watch the entire event below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the brawl, Stafford spoke about the Sabres’ desire to be a “harder team to play against” this season. You can also see that interview below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)