Jan 20, 2013, 5:56 PM EDT
Drew Stafford isn’t known for fighting prowess. In fact, going into the Buffalo Sabres’ season opener against the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday, Stafford hadn’t dropped his gloves since Feb. 6, 2010, according to hockeyfights.com.
Still, after the Flyers’ Scott Hartnell delivered a couple questionable hits, Stafford decided to defend his teammates.
Hartnell controlled the scrap early on, but Stafford turned things around towards the end to send Hartnell to the ice. You can watch the entire event below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
After the brawl, Stafford spoke about the Sabres’ desire to be a “harder team to play against” this season. You can also see that interview below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)