Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Six different rookies earned points on opening night with five of them scoring goals. Florida’s Jonathan Huberdeau teamed up with another old guy in Alex Kovalev to pile up three points each while Huberdeau scored his first career goal.
St. Louis’ Vladimir Tarasenko scored twice, including this dazzler for his first career goal, against Detroit en route to a 6-0 win. The Blues have had high hopes for him since picking him 16th overall in the 2010 draft. For now, it looks like the wait was worth the reward.
Then you look at Cory Conacher in Tampa Bay and his two-point night as the Lightning rolled to a 6-3 win over the Caps. Conacher scored his first career NHL goal to help pile on in the third period.
Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund also got his first NHL goal in a win over the Avalanche. Meanwhile, Nazem Kadri got Toronto out front right away in their win over Montreal. Only Ottawa’s Patrick Wiercioch wasn’t able to find the net but did get an assist in the Sens win over Winnipeg.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)