Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Six different rookies earned points on opening night with five of them scoring goals. Florida’s Jonathan Huberdeau teamed up with another old guy in Alex Kovalev to pile up three points each while Huberdeau scored his first career goal.
St. Louis’ Vladimir Tarasenko scored twice, including this dazzler for his first career goal, against Detroit en route to a 6-0 win. The Blues have had high hopes for him since picking him 16th overall in the 2010 draft. For now, it looks like the wait was worth the reward.
Then you look at Cory Conacher in Tampa Bay and his two-point night as the Lightning rolled to a 6-3 win over the Caps. Conacher scored his first career NHL goal to help pile on in the third period.
Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund also got his first NHL goal in a win over the Avalanche. Meanwhile, Nazem Kadri got Toronto out front right away in their win over Montreal. Only Ottawa’s Patrick Wiercioch wasn’t able to find the net but did get an assist in the Sens win over Winnipeg.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)