Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Six different rookies earned points on opening night with five of them scoring goals. Florida’s Jonathan Huberdeau teamed up with another old guy in Alex Kovalev to pile up three points each while Huberdeau scored his first career goal.
St. Louis’ Vladimir Tarasenko scored twice, including this dazzler for his first career goal, against Detroit en route to a 6-0 win. The Blues have had high hopes for him since picking him 16th overall in the 2010 draft. For now, it looks like the wait was worth the reward.
Then you look at Cory Conacher in Tampa Bay and his two-point night as the Lightning rolled to a 6-3 win over the Caps. Conacher scored his first career NHL goal to help pile on in the third period.
Minnesota’s Mikael Granlund also got his first NHL goal in a win over the Avalanche. Meanwhile, Nazem Kadri got Toronto out front right away in their win over Montreal. Only Ottawa’s Patrick Wiercioch wasn’t able to find the net but did get an assist in the Sens win over Winnipeg.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)