Jan 20, 2013, 4:58 PM EST
The bad news keeps piling on for the Philadelphia Flyers. They’ve started the shortened season with back-to-back losses and lost Zac Rinaldo in the process.
Rinaldo logged just 2:47 minutes of ice time before his leg got sliced by a skate, based on CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio report. He required 20 stitches and needs to be examined further before he’ll have an idea of how much time he’ll miss.
“We hope he’s not that long out of the lineup,” Flyers coach Peter Laviolette, according to Flyers.nhl.com writer Anthony SanFilippo. SanFilippo interpreted that statement to mean that Rinaldo will definitely be unavailable for Tuesday’s game against New Jersey.
Rinaldo played in 66 games with the Philadelphia Flyers as a rookie last season and recorded 175 hits in the process, which was second only to Scott Hartnell on the Flyers. The 22-year-old forward also finished second in the NHL with 232 penalty minutes.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)