Jan 20, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers will be dealing with very different emotions following this weekends contests.
The teams ranked first and second when it came to their chances of winning the Stanley Cup as far as the online sports book Bovada was concerned. However, with the Penguins 6-3 victory over the Rangers on Sunday, Pittsburgh is leading the Atlantic Division with a 2-0-0 record while the Rangers are still searching for their first win.
Fortunately for the Rangers, their schedule isn’t as initially heavy as some other teams. After playing in back-to-back games over the weekend, they will only participate in five contests over the next 11 days. That will give them time to adjust rather than being forced to sort their problems out on the fly.
Another silver lining for the Rangers is that they did look good towards the end of Sunday’s game and while it was too little, too late, Rick Nash and Derek Stepan combined for an impressive shorthanded goal late in the third period.
Still, moral victories will only take them so far. They need to start accumulating actual points soon if they don’t want to wind up in a rather deep hole.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 4
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 47
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 14
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)