Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the yearly cap hit will be $5.25 million, rounding out the deal to $26.25 million overall. It also includes a limited no-trade clause; the Leafs can request a list of 14 teams he’d accept being traded to, according to Dreger.
Getting some trade protection is probably more important to Lupul than many other players. He’s been involved in four swaps in his career, including two that involved Chris Pronger.
The Buds’ future remains fuzzy as Lupul joins Mikhail Grabovski and James Van Riemsdyk as the only prominent forwards signed beyond the 2013-14 season. The team still has a decision to make with top sniper Phil Kessel – his deal runs out in the summer of 2014 – but signing his running mate implies that the team might lean toward paying up.
Few were particularly excited when he landed in Toronto in February 2011 trade that involved Francois Beauchemin, yet Lupul’s been an asset for the Leafs. That was especially true last season as he scored 25 goals and 67 points despite being limited to just 66 games.
Management has apparently seen enough to make him a part of the long-term future. He’ll turn 30 in September, so this contract should cover the remainder of his prime.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 4
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 26
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)