Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that the yearly cap hit will be $5.25 million, rounding out the deal to $26.25 million overall. It also includes a limited no-trade clause; the Leafs can request a list of 14 teams he’d accept being traded to, according to Dreger.
Getting some trade protection is probably more important to Lupul than many other players. He’s been involved in four swaps in his career, including two that involved Chris Pronger.
The Buds’ future remains fuzzy as Lupul joins Mikhail Grabovski and James Van Riemsdyk as the only prominent forwards signed beyond the 2013-14 season. The team still has a decision to make with top sniper Phil Kessel – his deal runs out in the summer of 2014 – but signing his running mate implies that the team might lean toward paying up.
Few were particularly excited when he landed in Toronto in February 2011 trade that involved Francois Beauchemin, yet Lupul’s been an asset for the Leafs. That was especially true last season as he scored 25 goals and 67 points despite being limited to just 66 games.
Management has apparently seen enough to make him a part of the long-term future. He’ll turn 30 in September, so this contract should cover the remainder of his prime.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)