Jan 20, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers appeared on two NBC games this weekend and left without a single standings point. The Buffalo Sabres bested them on Sunday, managing a 5-2 win that was closer than the score indicates.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Thomas Vanek came up huge in the game, scoring a career-high five points. Can the highly paid sniper be a consistent threat for a Buffalo team in need of elite production?
- The Philadelphia Flyers have allowed four power-play goals in two games, including three on Sunday. What does Peter Laviolette need to do to improve the PK?
- The general consensus is that Ilya Bryzgalov hasn’t been to blame for this weekend’s two losses. Still, do you worry that the tiger-fearing netminder’s confidence might wane?
- This was the first bout between a team that was well-rested (Buffalo) and the team on the heels of a back-to-back (Philly). How much of a factor was fatigue and how often could that be a make-or-break element during the season.
- How many losses will it take for things to start going sour for the Flyers?
- What do you think of the more rough-and-tumble Sabres, such as Steve Ott (who scored on the PP)?
- Mikhail Grigorenko had a quiet debut for Buffalo. Should he ultimately stay with the big club?
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 4
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 29
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 75
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)