Jan 20, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers appeared on two NBC games this weekend and left without a single standings point. The Buffalo Sabres bested them on Sunday, managing a 5-2 win that was closer than the score indicates.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Thomas Vanek came up huge in the game, scoring a career-high five points. Can the highly paid sniper be a consistent threat for a Buffalo team in need of elite production?
- The Philadelphia Flyers have allowed four power-play goals in two games, including three on Sunday. What does Peter Laviolette need to do to improve the PK?
- The general consensus is that Ilya Bryzgalov hasn’t been to blame for this weekend’s two losses. Still, do you worry that the tiger-fearing netminder’s confidence might wane?
- This was the first bout between a team that was well-rested (Buffalo) and the team on the heels of a back-to-back (Philly). How much of a factor was fatigue and how often could that be a make-or-break element during the season.
- How many losses will it take for things to start going sour for the Flyers?
- What do you think of the more rough-and-tumble Sabres, such as Steve Ott (who scored on the PP)?
- Mikhail Grigorenko had a quiet debut for Buffalo. Should he ultimately stay with the big club?
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 31
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 66
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 25
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51