Jan 20, 2013, 3:14 PM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers appeared on two NBC games this weekend and left without a single standings point. The Buffalo Sabres bested them on Sunday, managing a 5-2 win that was closer than the score indicates.
Let’s get to the talking points.
- Thomas Vanek came up huge in the game, scoring a career-high five points. Can the highly paid sniper be a consistent threat for a Buffalo team in need of elite production?
- The Philadelphia Flyers have allowed four power-play goals in two games, including three on Sunday. What does Peter Laviolette need to do to improve the PK?
- The general consensus is that Ilya Bryzgalov hasn’t been to blame for this weekend’s two losses. Still, do you worry that the tiger-fearing netminder’s confidence might wane?
- This was the first bout between a team that was well-rested (Buffalo) and the team on the heels of a back-to-back (Philly). How much of a factor was fatigue and how often could that be a make-or-break element during the season.
- How many losses will it take for things to start going sour for the Flyers?
- What do you think of the more rough-and-tumble Sabres, such as Steve Ott (who scored on the PP)?
- Mikhail Grigorenko had a quiet debut for Buffalo. Should he ultimately stay with the big club?
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 0
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 42
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (43)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)