Jan 20, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Braden Holtby had plenty of hype surrounding him going into the 2013 campaign and it’s not hard to see why. He had been great in his brief stints with the Capitals, a hero in the playoffs, and looked good in the AHL during the lockout.
All that made him the obvious choice for Adam Oates to start in his NHL coaching debut on Saturday. Ultimately very little went right for the Capitals on Saturday and Holtby ended up allowing six goals on 34 shots in a 6-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Still, after the game Oates chose to defend his goaltender.
“You know what, I don’t fault Holts at all on the goals,” Oates said, according to the Washington Times. “I think it was more all of us. And he played hard. Once again I’ll talk to the goalie coach and we’ll evaluate that on Monday.”
You can view highlights from the game below:
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)