Jan 19, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Patrick Kane scored the final goal of the 2009-10 season to end the Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup drought. Now he’s also found the net for the first tally of the 2013 campaign.
Kane’s goal came at the 3:41 mark of the first period during a 5-on-3 power play against the Los Angeles Kings. Check out that nifty little one-timer in the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Power-play goals kicked off all three of Saturday’s afternoon openers. Tyler Kennedy deflected a shot to score for the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Philadelphia Flyers while Dustin Byfuglien fired a slapper home to open up scoring for the Winnipeg Jets against the Ottawa Senators.
The Blackhawks enter the first intermission against the Kings up 3-0, silencing the celebratory crowd. You can check out that game (or the Penguins-Flyers clash depending upon your region) on NBC right now.
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)