Jan 19, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
Patrick Kane scored the final goal of the 2009-10 season to end the Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup drought. Now he’s also found the net for the first tally of the 2013 campaign.
Kane’s goal came at the 3:41 mark of the first period during a 5-on-3 power play against the Los Angeles Kings. Check out that nifty little one-timer in the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Power-play goals kicked off all three of Saturday’s afternoon openers. Tyler Kennedy deflected a shot to score for the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Philadelphia Flyers while Dustin Byfuglien fired a slapper home to open up scoring for the Winnipeg Jets against the Ottawa Senators.
The Blackhawks enter the first intermission against the Kings up 3-0, silencing the celebratory crowd. You can check out that game (or the Penguins-Flyers clash depending upon your region) on NBC right now.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 3
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8