Jan 19, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
Patrick Kane scored the final goal of the 2009-10 season to end the Chicago Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup drought. Now he’s also found the net for the first tally of the 2013 campaign.
Kane’s goal came at the 3:41 mark of the first period during a 5-on-3 power play against the Los Angeles Kings. Check out that nifty little one-timer in the video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Power-play goals kicked off all three of Saturday’s afternoon openers. Tyler Kennedy deflected a shot to score for the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Philadelphia Flyers while Dustin Byfuglien fired a slapper home to open up scoring for the Winnipeg Jets against the Ottawa Senators.
The Blackhawks enter the first intermission against the Kings up 3-0, silencing the celebratory crowd. You can check out that game (or the Penguins-Flyers clash depending upon your region) on NBC right now.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)