Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
Tuukka Rask didn’t do it alone, but he did provide some evidence that the Boston Bruins will be fine even without two-time Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Tim Thomas.
Rask assumed the starting gig after Thomas decided to take the season off. The 25-year-old netminder and Bruins were forced to hit the ground running against the highly regarded New York Rangers on a night when Rick Nash made his debut.
It helps that the Bruins were able to provide Rask with plenty of seasoning before Thomas — at least temporarily — stepped away. Rask had already participated in 102 NHL games coming into the shortened season and always seemed overqualified for the backup job.
He’s been regarded as the Boston Bruins goaltender of the future for quite some time and there’s reason to believe that the Bruins should be fine now that the future is here. Of course, that’s just one game down. There’s still 47 more to go and, among other things, it remains to be seen if he can stay healthy.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
They’ll visit the President on Monday.
Feb 1, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Was a healthy scratch Friday night.
Feb 1, 2015, 7:16 PM EST
Minnesota sweeps western Canadian road trip.
Feb 1, 2015, 6:14 PM EST
Rookie Filip Forsberg had two assists in the win.
Feb 1, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
“The last 13 seconds were the longest I’ve ever lived.”
Feb 1, 2015, 4:03 PM EST
Both forwards had two goals apiece.
Feb 1, 2015, 3:22 PM EST
It was a close call.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
St. Louis killed the five-minute major.
Feb 1, 2015, 2:12 PM EST
Could be a very tough loss for the Blues.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:45 PM EST
He already has two on Sunday.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:47 PM EST
Watch some hockey before a certain big game.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:39 PM EST
Andrei Vasilevskiy gets recalled in his place.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:18 PM EST
Pittsburgh continues to navigate injury challenges.
Feb 1, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Time to hit the brakes on that rumor?
Feb 1, 2015, 10:37 AM EST
St. Louis is 9-0-1 in its last 10 games.
Feb 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EST
A big hip check and three assists from the defenseman.
Feb 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EST
Got a little help, too. Quick whistle on Toews chances.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:55 AM EST
Stopped 31 of 32 shots for the win.
Feb 1, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
No call. Got a little testy out there after that hit.
Jan 31, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
Boston maintaining their hold on a Wild Card spot.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 5
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 17
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29