Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
Tuukka Rask didn’t do it alone, but he did provide some evidence that the Boston Bruins will be fine even without two-time Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Tim Thomas.
Rask assumed the starting gig after Thomas decided to take the season off. The 25-year-old netminder and Bruins were forced to hit the ground running against the highly regarded New York Rangers on a night when Rick Nash made his debut.
It helps that the Bruins were able to provide Rask with plenty of seasoning before Thomas — at least temporarily — stepped away. Rask had already participated in 102 NHL games coming into the shortened season and always seemed overqualified for the backup job.
He’s been regarded as the Boston Bruins goaltender of the future for quite some time and there’s reason to believe that the Bruins should be fine now that the future is here. Of course, that’s just one game down. There’s still 47 more to go and, among other things, it remains to be seen if he can stay healthy.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)