Jan 19, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
Tuukka Rask didn’t do it alone, but he did provide some evidence that the Boston Bruins will be fine even without two-time Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Tim Thomas.
Rask assumed the starting gig after Thomas decided to take the season off. The 25-year-old netminder and Bruins were forced to hit the ground running against the highly regarded New York Rangers on a night when Rick Nash made his debut.
It helps that the Bruins were able to provide Rask with plenty of seasoning before Thomas — at least temporarily — stepped away. Rask had already participated in 102 NHL games coming into the shortened season and always seemed overqualified for the backup job.
He’s been regarded as the Boston Bruins goaltender of the future for quite some time and there’s reason to believe that the Bruins should be fine now that the future is here. Of course, that’s just one game down. There’s still 47 more to go and, among other things, it remains to be seen if he can stay healthy.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 32
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)