Jan 19, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
We’ve seen groin pulls and other assorted ailments through training camp, but leave it to Detroit’s Todd Bertuzzi to take the cake.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports the rugged forward is out of action with a case of mono. For the record, Bertuzzi is 37 years-old and not a fresh-out-of-college kid. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says Bertuzzi will miss a “chunk of time” with the sickness. At least he’s being descriptive, right?
With Bertuzzi out and Patrick Eaves not quite ready to play the Wings will roll with Jan Mursak at forward tonight against St. Louis. The Wings fight for the playoffs this season was already set to be tough and being without Bertuzzi for a long stretch will only make it that much harder.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 10
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 36
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)