Jan 19, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
We’ve seen groin pulls and other assorted ailments through training camp, but leave it to Detroit’s Todd Bertuzzi to take the cake.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports the rugged forward is out of action with a case of mono. For the record, Bertuzzi is 37 years-old and not a fresh-out-of-college kid. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says Bertuzzi will miss a “chunk of time” with the sickness. At least he’s being descriptive, right?
With Bertuzzi out and Patrick Eaves not quite ready to play the Wings will roll with Jan Mursak at forward tonight against St. Louis. The Wings fight for the playoffs this season was already set to be tough and being without Bertuzzi for a long stretch will only make it that much harder.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 31
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 54
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (54)