Jan 19, 2013, 1:49 PM EST
We’ve seen groin pulls and other assorted ailments through training camp, but leave it to Detroit’s Todd Bertuzzi to take the cake.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports the rugged forward is out of action with a case of mono. For the record, Bertuzzi is 37 years-old and not a fresh-out-of-college kid. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says Bertuzzi will miss a “chunk of time” with the sickness. At least he’s being descriptive, right?
With Bertuzzi out and Patrick Eaves not quite ready to play the Wings will roll with Jan Mursak at forward tonight against St. Louis. The Wings fight for the playoffs this season was already set to be tough and being without Bertuzzi for a long stretch will only make it that much harder.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)