Jan 19, 2013, 1:49 PM EDT
We’ve seen groin pulls and other assorted ailments through training camp, but leave it to Detroit’s Todd Bertuzzi to take the cake.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports the rugged forward is out of action with a case of mono. For the record, Bertuzzi is 37 years-old and not a fresh-out-of-college kid. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock says Bertuzzi will miss a “chunk of time” with the sickness. At least he’s being descriptive, right?
With Bertuzzi out and Patrick Eaves not quite ready to play the Wings will roll with Jan Mursak at forward tonight against St. Louis. The Wings fight for the playoffs this season was already set to be tough and being without Bertuzzi for a long stretch will only make it that much harder.
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 11
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 6
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29