Jan 19, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars will begin the shortened season with one huge absence: Jamie Benn.
Benn, a restricted free agent, is working out in Victoria, British Columbia while his teammates gear up for their home opener against the Phoenix Coyotes at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight.
Morrow pointed to Tommy Wandell as a player that will step up tonight. Wandell will start on the season on the second line while Derek Roy is projected to play alongside Loui Eriksson and Jaromir Jagr. Once Benn is finally signed, Roy and Wandell will slide down in the depth charts.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have not shared a lot of details about the ongoing negotiations, but agent Rich Evans did say that his client is hoping to sign a contract in the three-to-five year range.
The Stars don’t want to sign him to a four-year deal as that would take him to his first summer of unrestricted free agent eligibility, but they would be willing to ink him to a three or five campaign deal. However, both sides are reportedly divided when it comes to the financial terms.
What makes this situation even more unfortunate for Dallas is the fact that they will hit the ground running this season. Dallas is scheduled to play seven games in 11 days starting with Saturday’s opener, so every day Benn goes unsigned is another significant blow to the Stars.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 0
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 7
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)