Jan 19, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars will begin the shortened season with one huge absence: Jamie Benn.
Benn, a restricted free agent, is working out in Victoria, British Columbia while his teammates gear up for their home opener against the Phoenix Coyotes at 8:00 p.m. ET tonight.
Morrow pointed to Tommy Wandell as a player that will step up tonight. Wandell will start on the season on the second line while Derek Roy is projected to play alongside Loui Eriksson and Jaromir Jagr. Once Benn is finally signed, Roy and Wandell will slide down in the depth charts.
The Dallas Stars and Benn have not shared a lot of details about the ongoing negotiations, but agent Rich Evans did say that his client is hoping to sign a contract in the three-to-five year range.
The Stars don’t want to sign him to a four-year deal as that would take him to his first summer of unrestricted free agent eligibility, but they would be willing to ink him to a three or five campaign deal. However, both sides are reportedly divided when it comes to the financial terms.
What makes this situation even more unfortunate for Dallas is the fact that they will hit the ground running this season. Dallas is scheduled to play seven games in 11 days starting with Saturday’s opener, so every day Benn goes unsigned is another significant blow to the Stars.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 6
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 8
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 16
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)