Jan 19, 2013, 11:58 PM EST
Cory Schneider‘s tenure as the Vancouver Canucks starting goaltender is off to a rocky start. Schneider allowed five Anaheim goals on 14 shots, including three goals within the span of 3:04 in the second period before getting pulled in favor of Roberto Luongo.
Schneider was playing in his first game since inking a three-year, $12 million contract extension over the summer. The deal — combined with Luongo’s struggles in the playoffs — led to speculation that the Canucks were going to trade Luongo and fully commit to the Schneider era.
In the end, the Vancouver Canucks entered the season with both goaltenders. Despite the awkward situation, Luongo hasn’t put pressure on Canucks GM Mike Gillis to trade him and, in turn, Gillis has downplayed the trade rumors.
In the end, maybe entering the season with two capable starting goaltenders won’t prove to be such a bad idea, even if their combined annual cap hit is an unsettling $9,333,333.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)