Jan 19, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
Craig Anderson saved 27 shots to lead Ottawa to a 4-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets to kickoff the Senators’ season. He’s the clear starter for the team, but remains to be seen who his understudy will be.
Lehner in particular has plenty of promise and was superb in the AHL during the lockout. However, Lehner is on a two-way contract while Ben Bishop is not.
At this point it looks like the Senators will either trade Bishop or return Lehner to the minors, according to the Ottawa Sun. The Edmonton Oilers might be a potential training partner, especially with Nikolai Khabibulin on the injured reserve list.
“I’ve had calls. Oh yeah, I’m talking,” Senators GM Bryan Murray said. “I don’t know what we’re doing at this point. I just want to see what the interest level is, but yeah we have to be open-minded.”
It is believed that the Senators are hoping to get a top-four defenseman in return.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 10
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 34
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20