Jan 19, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
Craig Anderson saved 27 shots to lead Ottawa to a 4-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets to kickoff the Senators’ season. He’s the clear starter for the team, but remains to be seen who his understudy will be.
Lehner in particular has plenty of promise and was superb in the AHL during the lockout. However, Lehner is on a two-way contract while Ben Bishop is not.
At this point it looks like the Senators will either trade Bishop or return Lehner to the minors, according to the Ottawa Sun. The Edmonton Oilers might be a potential training partner, especially with Nikolai Khabibulin on the injured reserve list.
“I’ve had calls. Oh yeah, I’m talking,” Senators GM Bryan Murray said. “I don’t know what we’re doing at this point. I just want to see what the interest level is, but yeah we have to be open-minded.”
It is believed that the Senators are hoping to get a top-four defenseman in return.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)