Jan 19, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
Craig Anderson saved 27 shots to lead Ottawa to a 4-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets to kickoff the Senators’ season. He’s the clear starter for the team, but remains to be seen who his understudy will be.
Lehner in particular has plenty of promise and was superb in the AHL during the lockout. However, Lehner is on a two-way contract while Ben Bishop is not.
At this point it looks like the Senators will either trade Bishop or return Lehner to the minors, according to the Ottawa Sun. The Edmonton Oilers might be a potential training partner, especially with Nikolai Khabibulin on the injured reserve list.
“I’ve had calls. Oh yeah, I’m talking,” Senators GM Bryan Murray said. “I don’t know what we’re doing at this point. I just want to see what the interest level is, but yeah we have to be open-minded.”
It is believed that the Senators are hoping to get a top-four defenseman in return.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36