Jan 19, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
You may not remember forward Steve Begin, but the 12-year NHL veteran is back in the league and he’s earned a spot where it all started for him in 1997.
Begin won a spot with the Calgary Flames out of training camp earning himself a one-year, two-way contract. As you might expect, he was really excited to be back in the league.
“I was drafted by the Flames,” he said. “I played a few years here. It’s a great feeling to put on this jersey.
“When I have something in my mind, I want to make sure I reach my goal and today I did. It’s fun and I’m very, very excited.”
The last time Begin suited up was in 2010 with the Nashville Predators when he played two games for them. If he manages to play in 12 games this year, that’ll give him 500 in his career. For a guy that’s been a career third or fourth line player, that’s a pretty good accomplishment.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)