Jan 19, 2013, 5:38 PM EST
The Florida Panthers shocked many last season by winning the Southeast Division, but the deck might be stacked against them in 2013. The team already looked like it would be shorthanded going into opening night, but now you can add first-liner Kris Versteeg to the injured list.
Versteeg “pulled something” on Friday, according to the Miami Herald. With that, he joins jet-lagged Dmitry Kulikov, concussed Mike Weaver and the injury-suspended trio of Sean Bergenheim, Erik Gudbranson and Marcel Goc on the sidelines.
Versteeg is in the first season of four-year, $17.6 million contract. He had offseason hip surgery that kept him from being locked out until mid-November, so there’s a chance that is what is hampering him now.
The talented winger was limited to 71 games played in 2010-11, but still made an impact in that time, setting career-highs with 23 goals and 54 points.
Snarky hockey fans will notice his absence, too. He turned some heads with some wild hair last season and is now sporting an incredible mustache. The Miami Herald did some strong nose-critter journalism in this post, but you can revel in this photo of last season’s locks (via Getty).
If Versteeg can combine last season’s hair with this year’s mustache, it’s hard to imagine any defenseman, goalie or injury slowing him down.
Dec 7, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Good news for Nashville.
Dec 7, 2013, 4:48 PM EST
After 20 seasons, this could be it.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
He had three head or neck injuries last season.
Dec 7, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
He’s battled injuries the past two seasons.
Dec 7, 2013, 2:02 PM EST
He was their fourth-round pick in 2009.
Dec 7, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
He was the Panthers’ all-time leader in assists.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Losing blue liners is not optimal.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
It’s getting grumpy in Winnipeg.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:02 AM EST
That’s a big sigh of relief for Boston.
Dec 7, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
It’s all about the chances.
Dec 7, 2013, 12:15 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere remains undefeated.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:59 PM EST
Watch the video to decide for yourself.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Blackhawks have now lost three in a row.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:36 PM EST
Tough two days for San Jose.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
Next summer, they’ll be talking about shrinking goalie sweaters.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 PM EST
Phoenix goes to Vancouver shorthanded.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
Columbus dominated Minnesota 4-0 on Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Recalled forward Zach Boychuk played Friday.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:28 PM EST
After 15 seasons and two Stanley Cup victories.
Dec 6, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
Worse yet, another high Tampa Bay draft pick delivered the blow.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)