Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
There will be no love lost on Saturday when the Flyers and Penguins meet at the Wells Fargo Center (3 p.m. ET, NBC.)
The two teams will renew what’s become the NHL’s fiercest rivalry, setting the tone for a condensed regular season in which they’ll meet four times over the next 65 days.
Giroux’s breakout 2011-12 campaign put him in both the star category and conversation with Crosby for the best player in the game.
Giroux heightened the debate in the playoffs, scoring 14 points in the series win over Pittsburgh, punctuating the victory with this sequence in Game 6:
The wild and emotional series hasn’t been forgotten by either party.
During the summer, Giroux told a reporter his surgically repaired wrists were a result of Crosby hacking and slashing him during the playoffs.
Crosby responded by saying he didn’t recall injuring Giroux but that if he did, he wasn’t sorry about it.
As for the impact the loss had on No. 87 — well, it’s still fresh in his mind.
“I remember at different points, just kind of being in shock,” Crosby told the Post-Gazette recently. “A lot of different flashes go through my mind when I think about the series.
“Basically, what it came down to was, we didn’t deserve to win. We didn’t play well enough, all the way through.”
Tale of the Tape
|Pittsburgh Penguins (2011-12)||Philadelphia Flyers (2011-12)|
|Record: 51-25-6, 108 PTS (2nd in Atlantic; 4th in Eastern Conference)||Record: 47-26-9, 103 PTS (3rd in Atlantic; 5th in Eastern Conference)|
|Leading Scorer: Evgeni Malkin (50G-59A-109 PTS)||Leading Scorer: Claude Giroux (28G-65A-93 PTS)|
|Goalie: Marc-Andre Fleury (42-17-4, 2.36 GAA)||Goalie: Ilya Bryzgalov: (33-16-7, 2.48 GAA)|
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
Dec 26, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Will be filling the spot vacated by the suspended John Scott.
Dec 26, 2014, 5:38 PM EST
Decent start for the Americans at the World Juniors.
Dec 26, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
New Jersey has three of the five oldest skaters in the NHL.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 31
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)