Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
There will be no love lost on Saturday when the Flyers and Penguins meet at the Wells Fargo Center (3 p.m. ET, NBC.)
The two teams will renew what’s become the NHL’s fiercest rivalry, setting the tone for a condensed regular season in which they’ll meet four times over the next 65 days.
Giroux’s breakout 2011-12 campaign put him in both the star category and conversation with Crosby for the best player in the game.
Giroux heightened the debate in the playoffs, scoring 14 points in the series win over Pittsburgh, punctuating the victory with this sequence in Game 6:
The wild and emotional series hasn’t been forgotten by either party.
During the summer, Giroux told a reporter his surgically repaired wrists were a result of Crosby hacking and slashing him during the playoffs.
Crosby responded by saying he didn’t recall injuring Giroux but that if he did, he wasn’t sorry about it.
As for the impact the loss had on No. 87 — well, it’s still fresh in his mind.
“I remember at different points, just kind of being in shock,” Crosby told the Post-Gazette recently. “A lot of different flashes go through my mind when I think about the series.
“Basically, what it came down to was, we didn’t deserve to win. We didn’t play well enough, all the way through.”
Tale of the Tape
|Pittsburgh Penguins (2011-12)||Philadelphia Flyers (2011-12)|
|Record: 51-25-6, 108 PTS (2nd in Atlantic; 4th in Eastern Conference)||Record: 47-26-9, 103 PTS (3rd in Atlantic; 5th in Eastern Conference)|
|Leading Scorer: Evgeni Malkin (50G-59A-109 PTS)||Leading Scorer: Claude Giroux (28G-65A-93 PTS)|
|Goalie: Marc-Andre Fleury (42-17-4, 2.36 GAA)||Goalie: Ilya Bryzgalov: (33-16-7, 2.48 GAA)|
Jul 29, 2015, 11:58 AM EDT
“So hopefully it’s nothing that keeps coming back.”
Jul 29, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Can he give the Oilers the goaltending they so badly need?
Jul 29, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
The 26-year-old goalie is coming off a tough season.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Spent last season with Lugano in the Swiss League.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Y’know, everyday stuff.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Potentially a move to Switzerland, or the Czech League.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
Returning him to Rochester for a third time.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
Washington d-man is expected to miss the next two weeks of offseason training.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
Swiss winger came over from Calgary at last year’s deadline.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Nice payday after posting a career-high in goals this season.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
“When you look at the structure of our salaries and our cap, it’s important to get those bottom-six cap hits in better shape.”
Jul 28, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
With the Nurnberg Ice Tigers.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Winning bid to be decided by the end of the year.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
“When the games mean something, that’s when he’s at his best.”
Jul 28, 2015, 1:21 PM EDT
The Blue Jackets have done well. The Canucks have not.
Jul 28, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Probably looking at another year of junior hockey.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:56 AM EDT
Busy day for Pittsburgh.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:40 AM EDT
Jul 28, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Could be a top-six winger. Could be a third-line center.
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 6
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 34
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)