Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
There will be no love lost on Saturday when the Flyers and Penguins meet at the Wells Fargo Center (3 p.m. ET, NBC.)
The two teams will renew what’s become the NHL’s fiercest rivalry, setting the tone for a condensed regular season in which they’ll meet four times over the next 65 days.
Giroux’s breakout 2011-12 campaign put him in both the star category and conversation with Crosby for the best player in the game.
Giroux heightened the debate in the playoffs, scoring 14 points in the series win over Pittsburgh, punctuating the victory with this sequence in Game 6:
The wild and emotional series hasn’t been forgotten by either party.
During the summer, Giroux told a reporter his surgically repaired wrists were a result of Crosby hacking and slashing him during the playoffs.
Crosby responded by saying he didn’t recall injuring Giroux but that if he did, he wasn’t sorry about it.
As for the impact the loss had on No. 87 — well, it’s still fresh in his mind.
“I remember at different points, just kind of being in shock,” Crosby told the Post-Gazette recently. “A lot of different flashes go through my mind when I think about the series.
“Basically, what it came down to was, we didn’t deserve to win. We didn’t play well enough, all the way through.”
Tale of the Tape
|Pittsburgh Penguins (2011-12)||Philadelphia Flyers (2011-12)|
|Record: 51-25-6, 108 PTS (2nd in Atlantic; 4th in Eastern Conference)||Record: 47-26-9, 103 PTS (3rd in Atlantic; 5th in Eastern Conference)|
|Leading Scorer: Evgeni Malkin (50G-59A-109 PTS)||Leading Scorer: Claude Giroux (28G-65A-93 PTS)|
|Goalie: Marc-Andre Fleury (42-17-4, 2.36 GAA)||Goalie: Ilya Bryzgalov: (33-16-7, 2.48 GAA)|
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 4
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 3
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 46
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)