Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
There will be no love lost on Saturday when the Flyers and Penguins meet at the Wells Fargo Center (3 p.m. ET, NBC.)
The two teams will renew what’s become the NHL’s fiercest rivalry, setting the tone for a condensed regular season in which they’ll meet four times over the next 65 days.
Giroux’s breakout 2011-12 campaign put him in both the star category and conversation with Crosby for the best player in the game.
Giroux heightened the debate in the playoffs, scoring 14 points in the series win over Pittsburgh, punctuating the victory with this sequence in Game 6:
The wild and emotional series hasn’t been forgotten by either party.
During the summer, Giroux told a reporter his surgically repaired wrists were a result of Crosby hacking and slashing him during the playoffs.
Crosby responded by saying he didn’t recall injuring Giroux but that if he did, he wasn’t sorry about it.
As for the impact the loss had on No. 87 — well, it’s still fresh in his mind.
“I remember at different points, just kind of being in shock,” Crosby told the Post-Gazette recently. “A lot of different flashes go through my mind when I think about the series.
“Basically, what it came down to was, we didn’t deserve to win. We didn’t play well enough, all the way through.”
Tale of the Tape
|Pittsburgh Penguins (2011-12)||Philadelphia Flyers (2011-12)|
|Record: 51-25-6, 108 PTS (2nd in Atlantic; 4th in Eastern Conference)||Record: 47-26-9, 103 PTS (3rd in Atlantic; 5th in Eastern Conference)|
|Leading Scorer: Evgeni Malkin (50G-59A-109 PTS)||Leading Scorer: Claude Giroux (28G-65A-93 PTS)|
|Goalie: Marc-Andre Fleury (42-17-4, 2.36 GAA)||Goalie: Ilya Bryzgalov: (33-16-7, 2.48 GAA)|
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)