Jan 19, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
There will be no love lost on Saturday when the Flyers and Penguins meet at the Wells Fargo Center (3 p.m. ET, NBC.)
The two teams will renew what’s become the NHL’s fiercest rivalry, setting the tone for a condensed regular season in which they’ll meet four times over the next 65 days.
Giroux’s breakout 2011-12 campaign put him in both the star category and conversation with Crosby for the best player in the game.
Giroux heightened the debate in the playoffs, scoring 14 points in the series win over Pittsburgh, punctuating the victory with this sequence in Game 6:
The wild and emotional series hasn’t been forgotten by either party.
During the summer, Giroux told a reporter his surgically repaired wrists were a result of Crosby hacking and slashing him during the playoffs.
Crosby responded by saying he didn’t recall injuring Giroux but that if he did, he wasn’t sorry about it.
As for the impact the loss had on No. 87 — well, it’s still fresh in his mind.
“I remember at different points, just kind of being in shock,” Crosby told the Post-Gazette recently. “A lot of different flashes go through my mind when I think about the series.
“Basically, what it came down to was, we didn’t deserve to win. We didn’t play well enough, all the way through.”
Tale of the Tape
|Pittsburgh Penguins (2011-12)||Philadelphia Flyers (2011-12)|
|Record: 51-25-6, 108 PTS (2nd in Atlantic; 4th in Eastern Conference)||Record: 47-26-9, 103 PTS (3rd in Atlantic; 5th in Eastern Conference)|
|Leading Scorer: Evgeni Malkin (50G-59A-109 PTS)||Leading Scorer: Claude Giroux (28G-65A-93 PTS)|
|Goalie: Marc-Andre Fleury (42-17-4, 2.36 GAA)||Goalie: Ilya Bryzgalov: (33-16-7, 2.48 GAA)|
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 16
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)