Jan 19, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
40-year-old Jagr made his Dallas Stars debut on Saturday and led the team to a 4-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.
Jagr netted his 666th career goal — and the first of the game — at 18:36 of the first period. You can watch him reach that milestone below:
That was just the start of what proved to be a great contest for him. He added another goal in the second period and also registered two assists for Dallas. In the process he gave Stars fans a reason to forget about the ongoing contract drama with Jamie Benn — at least for one night.
With 667 goals, Jagr is now just one away from Luc Robitaille and ninth place on the NHL’s career goals list.
At the same time, Selanne entered the season with 663 career goals and will likely chase Jagr to see which one of them will end up with more goals by the time they hang up their skates.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (63)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)