Jan 19, 2013, 11:41 PM EDT
40-year-old Jagr made his Dallas Stars debut on Saturday and led the team to a 4-3 victory over the Phoenix Coyotes.
Jagr netted his 666th career goal — and the first of the game — at 18:36 of the first period. You can watch him reach that milestone below:
That was just the start of what proved to be a great contest for him. He added another goal in the second period and also registered two assists for Dallas. In the process he gave Stars fans a reason to forget about the ongoing contract drama with Jamie Benn — at least for one night.
With 667 goals, Jagr is now just one away from Luc Robitaille and ninth place on the NHL’s career goals list.
At the same time, Selanne entered the season with 663 career goals and will likely chase Jagr to see which one of them will end up with more goals by the time they hang up their skates.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5