Jan 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury is just 28 years old and he’s already the winningest goaltender in the history of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Fleury stopped 26 shots in a 3-1 victory against the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday. In the process he surpassed Tom Barrasso, who won 226 games in a Penguins’ uniform.
Fleury has won 35 or more games in five of his previous six seasons and could move into the top 50 of the NHL’s all-time wins list with just 14 more victories this season. That’s to say nothing of the fact that he’s taken the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals twice and won the Cup once.
At the same time, Fleury couldn’t hold his own against Philadelphia in the 2012 playoffs and the Penguins ultimately decided to hedge their bets by getting Tomas Vokoun over the summer. Vokoun said that there won’t be a goaltending controversy, but he gives them another option should Fleury falter.
Even after all he has accomplished, Fleury still has a lot of work ahead of him and plenty to prove this season. Still, setting a franchise record and beating a heated rival in one night is a great way to start.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)