Jan 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
Marc-Andre Fleury is just 28 years old and he’s already the winningest goaltender in the history of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Fleury stopped 26 shots in a 3-1 victory against the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday. In the process he surpassed Tom Barrasso, who won 226 games in a Penguins’ uniform.
Fleury has won 35 or more games in five of his previous six seasons and could move into the top 50 of the NHL’s all-time wins list with just 14 more victories this season. That’s to say nothing of the fact that he’s taken the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals twice and won the Cup once.
At the same time, Fleury couldn’t hold his own against Philadelphia in the 2012 playoffs and the Penguins ultimately decided to hedge their bets by getting Tomas Vokoun over the summer. Vokoun said that there won’t be a goaltending controversy, but he gives them another option should Fleury falter.
Even after all he has accomplished, Fleury still has a lot of work ahead of him and plenty to prove this season. Still, setting a franchise record and beating a heated rival in one night is a great way to start.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)